new airport not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ravikc, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ravikc Guest

so i just got a new airport extreme to replace my current airport (the older model) and for whatever reason i can not get the WAN port to pick up my IP from my cable modem - i plug it into the old model and boom it works no problem - done a million power cycles - isp resent the signal too to reset it for new hardware - no go

the interesting part is that if i take the modem --> old router and then use the new airport to extend the network via ethernet it works perfectly just not if i go from the modem directly to the new router

any ideas?? apple suggested that my wan port may be defective and the BRAND new router needs to be swapped

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

when you say power cycles, do you mean

• power down modem and airport
    • connect ethernet between airport and modem
    • power up ethernet and modem

sounds like the modem is locked on to the MAC of your old airport.

3. ravikc thread starter Guest

correct thats what i mean

and yes thats what my initial thoughts were but ive done everything from shutting my modem down for an hour to having the ISP reset the line (twice) and it still wont kick

in fact the green light on the back of the airport on the wan port doesnt even light up

any ideas?

4. psxguru macrumors 6502a

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

It sounds to me like Apple's suggestion is true. If it's new, you should have no issues getting it swapped out. And when you do, if the problem persists, then you'll know it's likely your modem.