Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riverwater

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Going to buy this new baby, but both my MBA and retina MBP do not have ethernet port. I know the initial time machine backup will take long long time if done with wireless, my question, can it be done via the USB port? I think even at USB 2.0, the speed should still be fast than ac wireless.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Going to buy this new baby, but both my MBA and retina MBP do not have ethernet port. I know the initial time machine backup will take long long time if done with wireless, my question, can it be done via the USB port? I think even at USB 2.0, the speed should still be fast than ac wireless.

I don't believe any TC can use its USB for time machine. Its an external USB for disk or printer.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica

As others have said, the USB ports are only for external hard drives and/or printers.

Having the two portables you might invest in a USB or Thunderbolt ethernet adapter. They're $29 and can be life savers in the odd times when Wifi is either down or not free, as many hotels still charge for wireless yet have free ethernet access available. In this instance too you would likely but your initial backup time in half by using one.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
You can use a USB disk connected to the TC port for TM backups. I've done it for years. I don't think, off hand, that you can first connect the USB disk to the Laptop, do a backup, then connected the disk to the TC and point the laptop TM to the image. I think the drive needs to be formatted by the TC if you want to use it for TM backups (at least for most reliability). But it may depend on what OS you are running. 10.8.4 has more flexibility.

How big are the hard drives that need to be backed up? It may not take as long as you think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.