Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I have just purchased one of the new vertical TimeCapsule's, a 2TB model and I have a couple of questions.

I am using this with my iMac for TM backups and I also wanted to use the wireless facility for all my other kit e.g. iPad, Apple TV etc. etc. I have my existing ISP supplied router/modem as gateway to the Internet with the TC connected by Ethernet to the ISP's router and with my iMac connected to the TC by Ethernet.

I updated the Airport utility which is now 6.3.1. There is no longer an option to join an existing network, just create a new network, extend a network or off, bridge is automatically selected if you create a new network.

Whilst setup was straightforward I am now left with two wireless networks i.e. the one set up via the ISP router/modem and the Time Capsule network.

What is the way forward here - to switch off wireless for the ISP router/modem and let the Apple device handle everything, continue with two separate networks or am I missing something here?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Can I assume from the lack of responses no one else knows the answer to my question?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
'Extend an existing network' is the option you want to join an existing network.

I think the settings in that are DHCP for Internet tab and have the DHCP off in the network tab.

Best way to extend a network is to start from scratch. Reset the TC and it should choose to extend automatically if your modem/router is set to DHCP server (primary router)

Another option is to set your adsl modem to bridge mode and put your adsl settings in PPPoE in the Internet settings. That way your TC is the primary router.

P.s. if you want free advice you should expect to wait more than a few hours when you post.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
P.s. if you want free advice you should expect to wait more than a few hours when you post.

Apologies for my apparent impatience. Please remember about time zones, I first wrote on the Wednesday and wrote again on a Thursday, different day for me.

Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated. I will have another look but in the latest Airport Utility, join an existing network option has now been removed.

What I have done though is log all my devices onto the new network that TC has created, rather than my existing network. I assume by doing this that TC is now handling all my devices and the ISP supplied modem/router is simply acting as a gateway. If I am deluding myself please say so.

Last edited:

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Extending wifi across AirPort devices is seemless but trying to extend a wifi network across an airport/TC device and a generic router can be problematic.

Are you running an Ethernet cable from the ISP router to the wan port on the TC? That might explain your issue. That is the best way to run a TC.

If you can't extend the wifi from the ISP router you will need to run an Ethernet cable. It's much faster anyway.

Assuming you get it running with ethernet, if you don't need the ISP router wifi I would disable it and run the wifi only on the TC. The TC has dual band that works so well with macs (and pc's etc). You can usually login to the generic router via a web interface and easily disable it.

Otherwise you may have to run two wifi networks.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Extending wifi across AirPort devices is seemless but trying to extend a wifi network across an airport/TC device and a generic router can be problematic.

Are you running an Ethernet cable from the ISP router to the wan port on the TC? That might explain your issue. That is the best way to run a TC.

If you can't extend the wifi from the ISP router you will need to run an Ethernet cable. It's much faster anyway.

Assuming you get it running with ethernet, if you don't need the ISP router wifi I would disable it and run the wifi only on the TC. The TC has dual band that works so well with macs (and pc's etc). You can usually login to the generic router via a web interface and easily disable it.

Otherwise you may have to run two wifi networks.

Cat5 Ethernet cable from ISP router/modem to TC WAN port, iMac connected by Ethernet to TC, NAS drive connected to TC by Ethernet, everything else is wireless. I have set up a new Network on the TC and have now logged all my peripherals into the new TC Network using the password. All my device now show as being connected to new network. Airport Utility states (off) bridge mode.

What I have noticed and not sure if that is normal behaviour, I have been copying some files from the NAS to the TC and whilst they copy OK I have noticed the traffic LED on the ISP router flashing like crazy. I thought that would be out of the loop for copying data as the NAS is connected directly into the TC?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I want to buy a Time capsule too. I want to change my 5 years old d-link with this new TC. I will connect it to my family Windows Xp PC wired, and i want wireless to be connected with my iMac/Macbook etc. What setup should i choose for TC? I understand that i must configure the TC with my iphone because there is no web admin interface? Thank you

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I want to buy a Time capsule too. I want to change my 5 years old d-link with this new TC. I will connect it to my family Windows Xp PC wired, and i want wireless to be connected with my iMac/Macbook etc. What setup should i choose for TC? I understand that i must configure the TC with my iphone because there is no web admin interface? Thank you

Everyone is different with what they think is the best config. Also it depends on your internet connection. Most have adsl, but some have fibre or satellite.

I have fibre running at 100Mbps download and 40Mbps upload and do not need a modem. I get 96MbpsDL and 38MbpsUL in speedtest.net on that :) (it takes 12 minutes to DL a full copy of OSX). So I have the TC internet tab in the AirPort App set to DHCP. My AE draws an IP from my network termination device on the fibre (which technically is a modem I guess). If you run fibre in IPoE you have it set the AE to DHCP in the internet tab in the AirPort app, although some fibre connections still use PPPoE in the internet settings.

To talk about a standard adsl setup though...

If you have adsl (which is most likely), I think the best setup is to use the modem purely as a bridge and have the TC/AE (Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme, called AE for short here) running as the primary router. In this config the AE does everything. It is so much cleaner.

For that config, set up the modem/router (usually supplied by your ISP) to bridge mode and turn off the DHCP server in it. Also turn off the wifi as well. You can usually do this by accessing the internals of your modem through a webpage interface. I also turn of the firewall in the ISP modem as well because I like it to run purely as a bridge to the AE. I let the AE do everything.

From that point, you plug the AE into the ISP modem/router with a CAT6 cable plugged into the WAN on the AE and the Router (or modem) port on the ISP modem/router. I suggest CAT6 because the AE has a Gigabit WAN, although it shouldn't matter with adsl so CAT5 or 5E is fine. As I run fibre at 100MB/s I run complete Gigabit ethernet.

Then you set the AE settings in the internet tab to PPPoE and input your ISP user name and pass.

Make sure you also have the router mode in the Network Tab set to DHCP and NAT.

With the above setting the cheap ISP modem/router simply bridges the adsl internet to the AE. The AE takes care of all the rest including the PPPoE connection to your ISP.

More importantly the AE takes care of the DHCP work as well so it assigns IP addresses.

You can then do all port forwarding and static IP assigning etc in the AirPort App.

I ran this config for a few years when I had adsl and didn't have to touch the ISP modem router at all. Everything was done from the AirPort App.

The problem with running the AE purely as an extender to the ISP modem/Router is that the AE is really only a glorified gigabit AirPort express. It has DHCP serving,NAT, port forwarding, IP assignment and PPPoE all turned off. In that config the ISP router does all the DHCP work etc.

This last config mentioned in the above paragraph is common and easy as you just bring the AE home and plug it in via ethernet and get it to work in extension mode. But it is the shortcut method. My preferred method mentioned above for having the ISP modem in bridge and the AE do everything is a little more difficult to set up but once running it is cleaner as the AE does everything from the AirPort app in OSX.

Also on a final note, I refer to the modem/router as an ISP modem/router. I understand the router may only be a modem and it may also not be an ISP supplied one. Yes I understand that and are simply referring to the ISP modem/router as the most common option people have. In other words you may have a store bought modem only for example with a stand alone router etc. It easy to work it out.

Last edited:

robpow

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
What I have noticed and not sure if that is normal behaviour, I have been copying some files from the NAS to the TC and whilst they copy OK I have noticed the traffic LED on the ISP router flashing like crazy. I thought that would be out of the loop for copying data as the NAS is connected directly into the TC?
No, I wouldn't normally expect that but there could be a perfectly normal explanation like name queries. It's hard to say if say ten flickers per second is ten small UDP packets to DNS or if it's all of your file data.

What happens to the file copy if you unplug the ISP router? If it stops then something's not quite right.

Matt

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I think the issue I'm having (though for the most part everything is working well) is that my ISP supplied router has got most of the advanced settings locked down. The only way to get round this is to flush through Telnet. Given you can end up bricking the thing if you get it wrong It's probably a better bet to buy a modem.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I have an fibre 50Mbs internet provider, what you suggest for me?

I should be the case that you just plug your AE into the network termination device in your house with an ethernet cable. There is no modem as you should have a network termination device that is effectively a modem that has some ethernet ports in it.

Fibre ISP can use PPPoE or IPoE as the connection.

If it is IPoE you set the connection in the internet tab in the AirPort App to DHCP. There is no user name or pass on this protocol.

If it is PPPoE you set the connection in the internet tab in the AirPort App to PPPoE and input your username and pass.

The AE is fantastic for fibre. Incredibly fast.

Perhaps check with your ISP first to see if they have support for it. If not you might want to google your ISP service and AirPort extreme to check how it runs. There are likely some reviews.

There shouldn't be any problems as it is a simple router setup and a lot simpler than adsl but every ISP is different as fibre is fairly new and not as standardised as adsl is.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
yes i have to put a username and password that are given by the internet provider. so can i use the new AE or TC connected wired to my family windows XP and wireless to my macbook/imac/iphone etc?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
yes i have to put a username and password that are given by the internet provider. so can i use the new AE or TC connected wired to my family windows XP and wireless to my macbook/imac/iphone etc?

Yes.

I have Macbook Airs, Minis, iPad, iPhone, 4088 Skype phone, Toshiba Laptops, Canon printer and a smart TV all hooked up to the AE. Some through wifi and some through ethernet.

The AE/TC work very well with Macs and iOS in wireless and ethernet (were ethernet is available on the device) and work fine with PCs in both wireless and ethernet as well.

Having said that, some older PCs may have issues (with wifi) but that is the case with any router. Worst case, if a PC does not connect wirelessly you can always update the wifi card/dongle.

Also

If you have to put a username and pass and you are on fibre then you most likely have to put that in in the internet tab in the AirPort app under the setting 'PPPoE'.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I do have an old router where I can get to the internal settings. I have the option of Bridge or Modem only, first question then, which setting? I'm thinking modem only? If not then has anyone some easy follow instructions?

Once I have that sorted has anyone a walk through guide to make the Time Capsule act as sole router?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I do have an old router where I can get to the internal settings. I have the option of Bridge or Modem only, first question then, which setting? I'm thinking modem only? If not then has anyone some easy follow instructions?

Once I have that sorted has anyone a walk through guide to make the Time Capsule act as sole router?

Try setting the old modem to bridge, turn off the DHCP server in it and turn off the wifi in it.

Connect it via ethernet to the AE and in the internet tab input your user and pass under the PPPoE connection. The AE should connect to your ISP directly and draw through an IP address from your ISP.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Try setting the old modem to bridge, turn off the DHCP server in it and turn off the wifi in it.

Connect it via ethernet to the AE and in the internet tab input your user and pass under the PPPoE connection. The AE should connect to your ISP directly and draw through an IP address from your ISP.

I bought myself a dedicated DSL modem, set that to Bridge Mode and had the TC up and running as a fully fledged router in no time. I have however encountered a problem with IPv6. I had it set to automatic and although it started up OK it would drop the connection within a minute or two. I found the only way around it was to use the Link-Local setting. I believe from doing a number of Google searches that I am not the only one who has this issue. Has anyone managed to cure it so that IPv6 will work automatically?

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
As I understand it (and anyone please correct me) you can only run full ipv6 protocol if your ISP supports it. Otherwise you run link local in the ae and run link local in network settings in osx. That will create a local ipv6 network. There is a mid-way option using tunnelling where there is a mix of ipv6 and 4. The ipv6 is tunnelled through the ipv4 network. The machines pulling ip addresses still get an ipv6 number.

I use to run tunnelling but gave up because ae kept bringing up errors. I use link local on the ae and in osx now. I will switch to auto when my ISP switches on ipv6 in the next few years. They are testing but seem very slow to introduce it.

russculler

macrumors newbie
Question for Lankyman

Since I have received no response to my questions about the merits of the new ATC vs the previous generation, may I ask you if your a few about your new TC?

1. Does it have an internal or external power supply?
2. Does it seem to run very warm?
3. If you are using it for backup, does it seem to run very slow?

I appreciate your response since I am trying to make a decision about whether the extra cost of the newer model over the previous one is worth it for me.

TIA

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
It has an internal power transformer and it has an internal exhaust system with fan so it does not run hot. I put a 4tb 7200rpm in mt TC and it is still cool to mildly warm. Definitely not overly warm or hot.

I use it purely for time machine so I don't really notice the speed as it happens in the background. But I ran a while back black magic on the TC through gigabit Ethernet and got about 35MB/s read write.

Last edited:

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Since I have received no response to my questions about the merits of the new ATC vs the previous generation, may I ask you if your a few about your new TC?

1. Does it have an internal or external power supply?
2. Does it seem to run very warm?
3. If you are using it for backup, does it seem to run very slow?

I appreciate your response since I am trying to make a decision about whether the extra cost of the newer model over the previous one is worth it for me.

TIA

1. Internal
2. We are currently enjoying a heat wave in UK and TC is barely warm
3. I'm using Ethernet, TM backups pretty quick.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Anyone knows if i go with the new AE and replace my old d-link Dir 635 i will see any stable/improvements on my wifi connection? i also will buy the haswell retina and probably the imac upgrade both with wifi ac

BUt is the new AE better than what i got now d-link DIR 635 ? beside wifi ac i understand that AE has now 6 antennas instead of 3 what ive got on my drink

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Anyone knows if i go with the new AE and replace my old d-link Dir 635 i will see any stable/improvements on my wifi connection? i also will buy the haswell retina and probably the imac upgrade both with wifi ac

BUt is the new AE better than what i got now d-link DIR 635 ? beside wifi ac i understand that AE has now 6 antennas instead of 3 what ive got on my drink

You might go the web site SmallNetBuilder. I know they recently did a test on the new tower Extreme. You could probably find their old test on the D-Link and compare the wifi results.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 14, 2011
U.K.
As I understand it (and anyone please correct me) you can only run full ipv6 protocol if your ISP supports it. Otherwise you run link local in the ae and run link local in network settings in osx. That will create a local ipv6 network. There is a mid-way option using tunnelling where there is a mix of ipv6 and 4. The ipv6 is tunnelled through the ipv4 network. The machines pulling ip addresses still get an ipv6 number.

I use to run tunnelling but gave up because ae kept bringing up errors. I use link local on the ae and in osx now. I will switch to auto when my ISP switches on ipv6 in the next few years. They are testing but seem very slow to introduce it.

After doing some further research it appears it will be link-local for me for the foreseeable future. IPv6 has had such poor take up in the UK that ISP's are experimenting with IPv4 sharing, bizarre but true.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
You might go the web site SmallNetBuilder. I know they recently did a test on the new tower Extreme. You could probably find their old test on the D-Link and compare the wifi results.

I can't believe the tested it with a PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.