New Airs - any better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by evansph, Oct 25, 2010.

1. evansph macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2008
    I've been a Rev A (80GB HDD, 1.6Ghz) user since 2007 and still enjoy my MBA but it is virtually useless in 2 key scenarios for me because it overheats and shuts down a core after a few minutes use:

- Skype Video calls
    - Playing 720p HD video (particularly .wmv format in VLC or QT)

I'm keen on the new 13" over the 11" for a number of reasons (this will be my main Mac) but am worried that overheating and/ or CPU shutdown may still be an issue.

Would really appreciate some feedback from those who already have the new 13" on how they perform in these 2 scenarios.

Note, am waiting for the new Airs to arrive in the shops in Singapore - 2 week government clearance process on new products :rolleyes:
  2. Durious macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2008
    Calgary, Alberta
    according to all review posts on these forums i have read those will run fine, one thing to note though is the cam still is bad quality though .3mp
  3. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2010
    had the rev a.
    the new one is perfect no worries.
  4. evansph thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 29, 2008
    Thanks for the encouragement. The just released Macworld benchmarks are really promising too. Am thinking I'll get the 13" 1.86/4GB/256GB as I'll be using Aperture and storing my photos on it, plus I want the option to run my work Windows setup under VMware.

The webcam resolution doesn't really bother me as my family are on low-bandwidth broadband anyway. Shame about the keyboard backlight though.