New AL13 Bumper for iPhone 5, Amazing !

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dinesh29888, Jan 4, 2013.

1. dinesh29888 macrumors member

Wow this looks amazing, any1 tried this ?

Attached Files:

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

How could anyone try this besides the owners? It will be available April.

3. smurray macrumors regular

My only concern with a bumper like this is that instead of being overly concerned about possibly scratching my iPhone I'd be overly concerned about possibly scratching my $50 bumper.

4. kampongkid macrumors regular

You forgot a link. Is this aluminum or something? Doesn't look like anything special judging from the pics.

5. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I just saw this today. It looks very nice, but is not a new design. There are plenty of these type metal cases available with the sliding back piece.

I don't see what is so different about this one.

From what I have seen with Al cases that I have tried, if there is a continuous piece of metal wrapped around the case, signal will drop. The Element case I have now has gaps and signal is barely affected.

Thoughts?

6. Enforce macrumors regular

Enforce

looks sleek. anymore pictures & links? :)

7. sweetestbaboon macrumors member

sweetestbaboon

8. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

No mention of reception performance. Since its all aluminum I would be worried it would have the same issues as element vapor.

9. ip4 macrumors newbie

ip4

They say in the FAQ on the kickstarter page that it reduces signal strength by less than 10 %.

10. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

This bumper would be worth it if it had precision cut outs like Power Support Flat bumper. This has open bottom and sides? Meh.

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

What you're looking for is the t-type 3.

12. Bakakage macrumors 6502

Yeah, the T-type 3 looks way better than this. This looks more cheap looking with the open volume rocker space.

13. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Ok. I just read the review on it. (T-type 3) looks pretty nice. Price. Not so much tho. Like the same amour as a lifeproof Frē

14. cinez macrumors newbie

Received my AL13 today. It's comes in a very nice presentation which include and front and back screen protector. Applying and removing the bumper is a breeze. Very nice fit. I didn't use the screen protector so I'm not sure the quality of them. You will see noticeable signal loss though.

15. Enforce macrumors regular

Enforce

Given that $80 price tag, have to agree with you. At least provide coverage to the power & volume buttons, like what other bumpers of this price range does.

16. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I've been interested in ordering this bumper but I don't know how bad the signal loss is. Do you think you could use the speedtest app and post pictures/speed of your network with and without the case? Also, what colour did you get? If you got gun metal or black, do you think you could post a picture of that too? I heard the black one is too light in colour.

Thanks!

17. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

These look quite similar to the old Aeris Contour and Rail cases. Their website looks down, but their twitter is up and running

18. cinez macrumors newbie

Sure... Speed test is in the following order from bottom to top (wifi bumper off, wifi bumper on, LTE bumper off, LTE bumper on). My battery was running low so I also ran the same test while charging, tested in same order. I ordered the Black one and it is a lighter color black, it looks a little blueish or purplish (similar color to the back metal of the black iphone 5). I wish it was darker black. Hope my pictures are helpful. In case anyone asks I have the following on my phone; black Metallic series full body skin from Digiskin, Tech Armor Premium HD screen protector and AL13 bumper. I provided links below.

http://estore.digiskin.me/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008THTTUI/ref=oh_details_o05_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached Files:

19. darster Suspended

Looks like you really take a hit with LTE. Losing 2 bars.

20. GaresTaylan, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013

GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

This was my thoughts exactly. I was not a Kickstarter backer, but ordered mine separately in black. I dont think this can even be called a "slate black" as they are saying. And I certaintly dont think it matches the back of the iphone. Those pictures you posted prove it. I feel more like I ordered a dark purple than a black. Their customer service tried telling me its more of an "ash" color - which would indicate grayish tint, not purple.

The other issue I have - I normally have 4 bars LTE on my iPhone when I am at home and at my work. Since my case has been on not only have I dropped to 2 bars, but I will only get 3G. About 30 seconds after I pull the case off it switches to LTE.

I contemplated switching mine out for a different color, but not at the expense of such a terrible degradation in signal.

21. cinez macrumors newbie

That's exactly my experience. I myself have strong LTE signal with it off, once the bumper is on it goes in and out of LTE to 3G. Love the look of the case but hate to sacrifice that much signal streangh.

22. darster Suspended

Seems they tend to lie a bit about loss of signal. They claim only a 5 to 10% signal loss. 2 bars is not a mere 5 to 10% loss. Of course they make that claim but never posted any real proof.

23. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

24. Scales7 macrumors newbie

Signal Loss

Just one more confirmation. I have the AL13. The quality, fit & fill are great.
    I lose 2 bars and often have no LTC. Even on 3G my wifes 4S is faster than my 5. This is the MOST expensive case I ever wont use.:(

25. signcarver macrumors newbie

Beautiful case BUT

I too am disappointed by the poor reception. I believe it is worse than the claimed 5-10%. I lose 1 to 2 bars.

I can live with the power button but the volume buttons are a real pain to operate.

Now i am looking for something as minimalist as this without reception loss that is also compatible with the spigen tR screen protector.

Maybe that case doesn't exist...