New AlBook MBP Battery Indicator Light Stuck?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Totti, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Totti macrumors member

Hi guys,

First let me say, i know this topic has probably come about before. I even remember reading it but not taking much notice of it as it didn't affect me but I've tried searching for it and can't find anything related so here goes:

My indicator light seems stuck, yesterday it was stuck on 99% (But says charged) and today it has done the same thing but on 97%. The first time i charged it up it said 100% but hasn't hit it again since then.

Is this some kind of protection mechanism?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry, but your battery won't get charged unless it drops below 95%!! Perhaps you should consider using your machine without the adaptor for a few hours, it's better for the battery to allow it's electrons to flow.

3. Totti thread starter macrumors member

Really? I thought keeping it charged into the mains (As i use it pretty much all the time at work) would be better for prolonging the life of the battery.

4. P Mentior macrumors regular

Nope. Keeping it always plugged in can make it die out faster. Here's some batter info you might want to read:
    Lithium Ion Battery Wiki

5. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Leaving the battery in the laptop should do nothing to harm the battery. My laptop is hottest when playing a game, and even then, the battery remains cool.

Removing the battery decreases the performance of the laptop. There is no reason to remove the battery. What will kill a battery is never using it. If you do not use the battery, the cells in it go flat, and give you a crappy run time. I think this is a lot of the "My battery only has 50 cycles, but the health is at 40%. Why can't Apple make a battery that lasts 2 years long?"

Use the battery at least twice a month. Fully deplete it and recharge it. Enjoy your 'mobile' computer.

As for it losing a charge while being plugged in... I don't know why, but mine is also doing the same thing. I don't sweat it though. 3% off the runtime is not measurable with the run time of the machine. Might equate to 5 minutes extra.