New Aliminium MacBook 2.0 - Wait or Buy Now?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CallumMcLean, Oct 23, 2008.

1. CallumMcLean macrumors newbie

Hi, i'm planning on buying a new aliminium macbook at entry level (probably upgrading the hard drive at least) and wanted some advice, as I'm a previous PC user. Firstly, I've heard that apple tend to release versions of the same model of macbook, and that it might be worth waiting for an upgrade in case the initial version has faults that will be fixed for the following model. Is this ******** or is it worth waiting around? Also, being a bit of a mac newbie, which upgrades are worth getting, as I don't know much about RAM. I will be using it mostly for college work, personal use and possibly for music production. Any answers would be much appreciated. cheers

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Regarding waiting. If you need a computer now, go ahead and buy the MacBook. No one knows exactly when a revised one will come out and waiting can be frustrating if you really need one. If you can wait, then wait.

Usually, the advice for RAM is to buy it from a 3rd party and install it yourself because Apple charges a lot more for RAM. However, the RAM technology used in the new MacBooks is new and Apple's prices are very close to 3rd party prices. You should upgrade the RAM if your budget allows.

The 2.0 MacBook should be good for your needs, however, I'll leave the music production advice to the experts.

3. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I have a Macbook 2.0 and I love it. It's perfect for school work, although music editing may not be the easiest thing with no Firewire ports, although if your crafty/own a second computer you can work around that. Also, in regards to upgrades, there may be a new revision in the future, but my macbook doesn't have any defects, except for a few slanted keys (NBD). It really is up to you.

4. me2000 macrumors 6502

I'm waiting a couple of months just to see how things pan out.. and just to see what happens at MWSF.

5. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

in technology there is always something better 3-4 months down the road. if you always wait for the next best thing then youll never buy.

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would buy one now. I doubt they will be upgraded till sometime next year. No idea on the music front and I'm sure Apple has spent a long time R&D to ensure the new machines are fine. Most of the defects are cosmetic faults and you'll get that no matter when you buy as products will always slip through quality control.
    Definitely upgrade the RAM from Apple as their good prices. Buy a hard drive from some where else if you need it but then again if you use a student discount it may be cheaper from Apple again?

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

But... you might want to wait a month or so for the worst of the Mark I problems to get ironed out.

8. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

When you start waiting it out, you will probably wait till the next revision - since the curent model becomes more 'expensive' as technology ages and Apple prices stay flat. And since nobody knows when they will be updated (certainly not at MWSF), you could be in for a long frustrating wait (the next true Intel revision will not come before Q3/2009).

I mostly found it best to buy immediately after the launch, because then you get your moneys worth as the systems are priced quite competitively against similar PC-Hardware.

9. me2000 macrumors 6502

Well, I'm also saving up some money and I'm waiting for Christmas money to help pay it. So I'm not waiting for improvements. I just want to wait for the cosmetic defects to correct themselves.. and I'm just curious to see what happens at Macworld.

I do have one question though... I hear iLife '09 might come out at MWSF. Does that mean any laptop bought after that will include iLife '09?

10. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Agreed about the cosmetic defects. Not sure how or what Apple is doing to address these or the dead pixel issues.

11. PresentACat macrumors regular

Did Apple correct things like the cracking plastic Macbooks?

12. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Yes!
    Once it is announced they put it on the new ones. And you are right, this could be a reason to wait it out. The strange thing with the Apple release policy is, that you could end up waiting for the next best thing. I did this myself once. Where I waited for iLife, OSX 1.5, the next hardware revision and almost a year later... ;)

Never mind, make your own decisions!

13. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Hhm maybe,..., they released the Alu Glassbook?!
    Agreed, it took them a while to figure it out. But I have my suspicion that this somehow contributed to the fact that the Macbook is now so close in features to the Pro....

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Actually they did. The last gen had a different type of "plastic" which is much stronger than previous ones. Will they still have problems? Maybe, but my friend who works at an Apple store said it isn't a major problem with the previous gens as the ones before it. So they did try to correct their mistake just like they will probably fix the issues the new ones are having now.

BTW I have owned 3 previous Macbooks, my wife has owned 2, and know 3 friends who have them and never once had an issue with cracks. I know some have had problems(everyone complains all the time on here about it), but not everyone.

15. PresentACat macrumors regular

Yes I've no doubt they were aware and sick of the issue, but they didn't fix it. I'm sure if as they run stuff off they find a better way of doing it easily they will, but if it means resourcing everything and whatnot, they just look at it and think "Bugger it, just replace the 20p worth of plastic if the poor tossers can be bothered to complain"

16. PresentACat macrumors regular

I can easily believe that, I actually hate this place because the amount of problems that naturally get brought forward is so skewed.

17. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Ive had 3 new Macbooks. I have yet to see one without dead pixels, dents, or scratches across the top of the casing that is a minimum 0.5" upwards of 1". Depressing.

18. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I think the OP is referring to Rev A, Rev B, etc. and the defects that appear to be cropping up. Not so much any sort of specification bump.

19. budkid macrumors regular

I bought the new 2.0 the day after it came out. I sold my PC laptop a month before. I was waiting for this version to come out.

I think you should just buy this 2.0 rather than waiting. I really needed a laptop as a student. I don't think I could have went without a laptop for the semester. This is a great laptop for a PC person to switch to.

20. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I figured Apple does their software like the automotive industry. I bought my MacBook in 2007, which came with iLife '08 and I also bought iWork '08. So if they were to come out with a new version, wouldn't it be '10 - and not get released until later in the year?

To the OP - just buy one now. I doubt their will be any major defects to worry about. Plus the aluminum MacBooks come with 2 gb of Ram which should be plenty for you.