Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Connectivity Standards Alliance (CSA), which includes Apple as a member, today introduced Aliro, a new standard that is aimed at improving the way that smart door locks work with smartphones and wearables.

aliro-smart-home.jpg

Alliance members are working to develop a new communication protocol that will allow for interoperability between mobile devices, wearables, and access control readers. As with Matter, the idea is to have smart locks that are compatible with any smartphone or wearable device, without the need for an app.

According to the CSA, the goal for the Aliro protocol is to "foster widespread adoption of consumer electronic devices to unlock doors and openings" by creating a consistent experience across certified hardware devices.
"As we've seen with the introduction of Matter, it's been proven that global collaboration around a shared mission along open standards is the best way to achieve broader adoption of new technology," explains Connectivity Standards Alliance President and CEO Tobin Richardson. "The Alliance and its members are now using that same model to unlock the potential of digital access experience, with the creation of a new standard and credential that makes adoption easier for mobile device and access control reader companies."
Aliro would be a common communication protocol and credential that would make it much simpler to get a digital key for a smart lock and unlock a door using a wearable or smartphone. The CSA says that it will have a "lasting impact" on the way that people access homes, corporate offices, warehouses, hotel rooms, healthcare facilities, universities, and more.

Aliro will support a wide range of transmission technologies, including NFC, Bluetooth LE, and Ultra Wideband, along with asymmetric cryptography and credential data. It is meant to work the same way across devices regardless of hardware and operating system.

Apple is an Aliro member, and it already has some of the groundwork for the functionality as it is described by the CSA. The CSA suggests that people will be able to use smartphones and wearables to unlock their homes in place of a physical key, something that Apple supports with Home Key already. Home Key allows a digital key to be added to the Wallet app to unlock a HomeKit-compatible door over NFC without opening an app.

Apple, Google, Qualcomm, Samsung, and other CSA members support the Aliro effort.

Article Link: New 'Aliro' Standard Aims to Simplify Unlocking Doors With Smartphones

Reactions: Lyrics23

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Would this be adopted into Matter, or an alternative? If an alternative…what was the point of Matter?
I don't believe so from what I've read. Matter is for smart home devices in general while Aliro is specifically for smart locks/digital keys. The Connectivity Standards Alliance is behind both Matter and Aliro.

Apparently, Aliro means "access" in Esperanto

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Would this be adopted into Matter, or an alternative? If an alternative…what was the point of Matter?
I think, what I was reading in another article about this earlier today. It sounds like it could be used for your home and/or business. While Matter is more for personal home use.

But don’t quote me, I could be totally wrong

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Matter and Aliro are two different and not related CSA-IOT specifications. Matter relates to connectivity of IOT devices in a smart home, like Zigbee/ZWave is.

Aliro deals with the interaction between a mobile device (as a credential) and a reader/lock. It standardizes that so that you can have one mobile credential created on a watch and a credential on a phone, and it will work on any compliant manufacturer's lock or reader.
Can this be installed into current smart locks via a firmware/software update?
It depends upon their hardware and their manufacturer's willingness to embrace open standards. Some hardware simply won't be compatible, but there is a lot out there that is.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I was under the impression this was for locks like hotels, work, school, etc.

Some colleges allow Apple users to use their school ID in the Wallet app to get around locked rooms IIRC.

It would be like that.

Matter is for personal smart home.

Reactions: name99

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
If I could use my phone instead of having my key fobs to get around places like elevators, that would be so cool

Reactions: name99

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010

Matter is a way for smart devices to connect with and through one another.

this clearly states in the article that it's about enabling different smart phones, watches, etc. to have the capability to interact with locks rather than obligating the user to specifically have an iPhone, or Android, or have the Kwikset/Schlage/Nest, etc. app.

Reactions: Lyrics23 and NT1440

KENESS

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
I would suspect, based on how they described it, you could have a smart lock which was both Aliro AND Matter compatible.

The Aliro component of its functionality covers all the lock and key and access related aspects, whether you have a smart home or not. And makes it universal.

If it is ALSO Matter compatible (hopefully with Thread and not relying on Bluetooth LE) that would just provide another way to access and interact with the lock, on top of the Aliro functionality that is already there, such as using the lock in automations and scenes, etc.

Also, from what I read in the article, I kind of get the impression that Aliro may not include remote access to the lock. But if it were an Aliro+Matter lock, that would then allow you to check the status remotely, and lock it if you or someone forgot, etc.

• Love

Mavrick33332

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2020
I'd also like to know if it will matter anymore...

But seriously, I was going to get a matter lock, should I wait?

Mavrick33332

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2020
I think the Encode plus supports thread not matter, but heard good things about it. Schlage is the only lock I'd actually buy because of the security quality - I thought they had a matter lock but can't find it now. Anyway, now I'm thinking I'll wait a while more before buying.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Oh cool, yet another standard.

I always need to link the relevant xkcd when this happens a few times per year: https://xkcd.com/927/

standards.png
That is exactly what I thought when I read the article, I even had to re-read parts of it because I thought "surely I'm reading this wrong. They pretty much said "We think Matter is great and we love how open standards lets everyone adopt it, so here is our new standard for the same thing."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.