New Alu Build of Leopard causing problems with school network printing system?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dominordelingua, Nov 6, 2008.

1. dominordelingua macrumors member

I got my new Aluminum Unibody MacBook a couple weeks ago for my schooling, and as soon as I got in wireless range one of the first things I did was set up the wireless printing and adding the schools printer to my MB.

My school charges for all print jobs using a system called GoPrint, where each student has a specific login. While working in the Student Help Desk, a student approached me about connecting to the printer...so I walked him through the steps and everything seemed to work fine, until he went to print. Instead of showing up in his GoPrint account, it showed up in mine.

Long story short: possibly EVERY print job made by a mac user that is connected to the network when I am somehow ends up in my account.

I'm thinking that it must be because of a slightly different build of this MB.

Does anyone with some mac smarts know any reason/solution for this? Anything would help...thanks.

2. charliewade macrumors newbie

The problem is with Leopard and how it interacts with DNS. We are having the same and related issues on our campus (a community college) with Mac Leopard users and GoPrint. The only solutions we have so far are to deprecate Leopard users back to 10.4 or to configure GoPrint to use a user name instead of the computer's name. The former you can do yourself, the latter is a change that your GoPrint and network administrators would have to implement.

3. dominordelingua thread starter macrumors member

hmm.... interesting. Thanks for the info, maybe I can get a hold of the administrators if the problem gets too bad.

Which community college do you go to?

4. charliewade macrumors newbie

The problem has now been solved here on the campus where work. Basically, it was an issue between how the local DNS and DHCP servers interacted. Definitely something you'll have to get your network administrators to fix.

PM me if you want me to forward you the gory details.