New Alu keyboard vibration problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NSK123, Mar 29, 2008.

1. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Ok so I just bought this one, and it's really good.. One thing is quite annoying though... I don't know if it's really a problem or not so I wanted to see if others are having similar issues..Anyways..

By touching the alu parts it feels as if it's slightly vibrating a bit.. weird thing is sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't... It's not bad but you know it feels kinda weird on the fingertips, So Is my keyboard defective or is this "normal" as in others might have the same issue?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Could it be the vibrations from your computer coming through the desk and into your keyboard?

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I sometimes have this issue when my MBP is connected to the mains at university. Haven't found out how to prevent it yet.

4. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

definitely not.. MY computer is on the floor, only thing I have on the table is my monitor and this doesn't vibrate.. It's weird though the problem is not constant but sometimes it feels like it slightly vibrates..

this is how it's placed
    [img=http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4973/img0015gt2.th.jpg]

So is it only me having this problem or have others noticed this too? Don't wanna get nit picky about a keyboard but just wanna find out if it's defective or if it's a common issue before i contact apple.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's a grounding issue causing current to be present in the aluminium casing. Not a big deal - it happens on all aluminium Apple gear, and a fair few other manufacturers with metal parts within skin contact. Ground your Mac properly and it should not happen.

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I used to get this with my old PowerBook. It's static electricity I think, rather than vibrations.

7. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

what do you mean ground it? Like placing something soft beneath it...?

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

No. It's an electrical issue, although something soft under the keyboard would mean you have less chance of getting RSI with the 'straight down and thump' Apple keyboard. Basically, what it boils down to is that your electricity supply should be properly grounded and if you have an earth pin presented at your supply, you should use it.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. NSK123 thread starter macrumors regular

NSK123

This has nothing to do with it as far as I can see, just tried to i place it somewhere entirely different and it's the same problem.. I just want to know do anybody else have this "problem" or are your keyboards dead still?

11. britedesign macrumors newbie

Yes It Vibrates!!!

I spent the last 5 min rubbing my fingers over the aluminum spot on my new keyboard trying to figure out what it was. I found it when I was trying to wipe off a hair on my keyboard and felt it vibrating. I thought maybe Apple was just being cool by adding a new mouse touch area like on laptops, so I Googled it. This is the first thing that popped up. I don't know if it's a flaw, because sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. I'm thinking it's the ridges in the fingerprints running across the texture of the metal (like on a wine glass). Hope that helps!

Jen