New Alu. Macbook = Smaller Macbook Pro (12'' Powerbook?)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by theMaccer, Oct 14, 2008.

1. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Personally I think Apple did a good job on the new Macbook. It is much more powerful than the old Macbook, and it is more portable than the Macbook Pro. For people who want the old 12'' Powerbook back, I think this is almost perfect.

2. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

Almost perfect. Except for Firewire ports. And matte screen.

Based on how those important those two features are for you, the level of 'perfect' varies.

3. dougnewman macrumors 6502

It's still quite a bit larger than the old 12" PowerBook.

However, other than the absence of FireWire, it could be considered to the new MacBook Pro what the 12" PowerBook was to the "real" PowerBooks.

Actually, the 12" PowerBook was really an iBook in an aluminum skin, so the new MacBooks probably have more in common with the new MacBook Pros than the 12" PowerBook had with the other PowerBooks.

4. bektravels macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm disappointed about both points, but it's prolly not going to stop me from picking a new one up... my PB 12'' is on the way out and this seems like the best replacement.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly.

The new 13" Alu MBs are very similar to MacBook Pros. People used to need a MacBook, but spend the extra $600+ to buy a MBP only because they wanted the sleek looking aluminium system, and because they wanted the graphics card for games. Now, both those people who want aluminium, and those people who want to do some decent gaming can do so without spending MBP $$$.

It seems fantastic.

6. andrewag macrumors 6502

I agree, the MacBook does indeed truly does fit in as a "PowerBook 12" replacement now - sans the FireWire of course - maybe next revision?

It looks like the "new" white MacBook is now the consumer one, with the new new MacBook fitting in-between consumer / pro.

7. dougnewman macrumors 6502

If you like the new MBP, it is indeed fantastic, unless you must have FireWire. Indeed, despite what Apple says, I think the new MacBook probably will cannibalize MBP sales. The difference in both price and quality is now smaller, making the MacBook seem far more upmarket and perhaps cheapening the image of the MBP. One almost wonders why they bother with the "Pro" on the MBP any longer.

Personally I'm buying an old-gen MBP... It's not that the new notebooks released today don't look nice, but ultimately the old MBP with its matte display will serve my needs best, and the prices at the moment are quite good. If the new MBP had a matte display I would buy it, and if the new MacBook had a matte display and FireWire I would consider it a perfect 12" PowerBook replacement and buy that instead (I don't need the MBP's bigger display or discrete graphics).

8. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I think Apple is blurring the consumer/pro line, and started doing so with the aluminum iMac.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Who cares? Apple's huge profit margin and sales numbers aren't my business. If they're going to sell me a MBP-esque machine for MB prices, I'll take it.

However, if I were on the Apple marketing team, or paid by Apple to sell their products, I'd think exactly as you said...namely "W.T.F.?"

10. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

A worthy successor to my 12 inch. I lurv it!

The screen is a minor annoyance. And I hope the backlit keys are on the 2.0 model. At first I was peeved about the black keys, but I understand that the backlight will contrast better with black. Function > form in this case.

Bravo apple. It's like the Air that should've been.

11. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

i'm actually thinking of selling my penryn mbp for this now... after all, i don't need the dedicated gfx or the fw. mmm... sounds good

12. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Oh, I don't care either, it was just an observation.

13. altair7 macrumors member

It's not quite as small as the 12" powerbook but it is a huge (heh) step towards getting there. I'm most likely going to sell my 1 year old MBP and get a 2.4 ghz MB. Yay for more portability.

14. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I just compared the physical specs of the 12" PowerBook vs 13.3" MacBook and it's very close (although the MB is wider due to the wider screen). More or less the same weight too.

PowerBook 12" : 10.9" x 8.6" x 1.18" (Weight 4.6lbs)
    MacBook 13.3" : 12.78" x 8.94" x 0.95" (Weight 4.5lbs).

Very close!

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook's volume is actually less than the 12" PowerBook.

As much as it frustrates me to see people STILL using inches, I'll stick with it here for the sake of comparison:

PowerBook 12" : 110.61"³
    MacBook 13.3" : 108.54"³

16. tekmoe macrumors 68000

After much debate, I'm now going to go with the new 2.4 MacBook. I'll save myself $400 because I originally wanted the new MBP.

Just waiting for the stores to get them.

17. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

The new Macbook IS the 13" Macbook Pro!

I think the new Macbook is the true successor to the much-loved but aging 12" Powerbook G4.

Here is my experience for what it’s worth (just my first day’s impression with my PB by its side like a loyal doggy!)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=581526

18. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

For me it is ALMOST the replacement of the 12" PB. FW being the maddening part. Cause the glossy thing is something I can address.