New aluBook and loose magnetic latch

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Donza, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Donza macrumors member

Problem is my aluminum MacBooks lid opens up very easily when carrying it in a laptop messenger bag. It seems like the magnets aren't strong enough to keep the lid closed while laptop is in vertical position in my laptop bag. I did not have the same problem with the white MacBook so I ended up taking it to service. In Apple service point they agreed that the magnetic latch was definitely more loose than on white MacBooks and even slightly more loose than on some of other aluminum books they had there for repair. They are going to replace the whole screen part of the MacBook and see if it gets any better. Now I wonder if anyone else has the same problem with their aluBook?

2. youssefm macrumors 6502

i think the latch magnet on mine is just perfect, not too strong but not weak enough to open by itself.. i really like it as it lets me open it with one hand. the white macbooks magnet was so strong sometimes i couldn't get it open and i had to use two hands to pull it apart

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea my white book was pretty tight too, the new aluminum one seems to have the perfect amount of resistance.

4. danvan21 macrumors regular

hmm, mine is actually tighter than my blackbook

5. applgeek macrumors member

6. frca macrumors newbie

weak magnet catch

I have experienced the same thing on my alum macbook. when i place in carry bag, it opens slightly on its own. Will be taking in soon.

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

The Aluminium MacBooks have a weaker magnet on purpose. The previous generation polycarbonate were having issues with too strong of a magnetic latch, thus they reduced the magnetization. I doubt they'll do anything about a weak magnetic latch so long as it actually works. For the record, I do experience what you are experiencing.

8. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

my roommate has a white book and i didnt really notice a difference but i can say when i leave mine closed or put it in the carrying case i have never noticed it open afterwards so i would only assume that sense it is plenty strong enough for my use that its probably a bad magnet or something

9. walkum13 macrumors newbie

I just noticed this issue over the weekend with my AL macbook. i was thinking of sending it back to Apple...has anyone gotten this fixed?

10. dimboo macrumors newbie

Donza, did replacing the screen part (screen + hinge, i presume) fix the issue? Since a couple of days my alu MacBook won't stay closed when upright, not only in my laptopbag but also when i hold it upright in my hand ...

11. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Just slide it into your bag with the hinge at the top. then it won't open.