New alum macbook +flash "lagging"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paetrick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. paetrick macrumors regular

Hi, just bought the new alum macbook (2.0 ghz) and I really like it, BUT:

I have some problems on my macbook playing youtubevids and "flash" video's in general, even though it's fully "loaded" it lags sometimes, not supperlagging but you'll notice that the video skipping some frames. This accurs every 20sec or something. I thought mac os x had fixed flash problems long time ago?

CPU's running at 6% and memory is far away from full (flash video's also works perfect under windows).

What's up with this?

2. lawjack2207 macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem viewing flash videos such as the ones on YouTube. The browser, both Firefox and Safari, will simply crash and ask me to submit a report to Mozilla or Apple. I've uninstalled Firefox twice and reinstalled it. I've unistalled the Flash program twice and reinstalled it and nothing seems to solve the problem. Could these be related?

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its because the new flash 10.0 maxes out the Macbooks CPU to 100%, you either need a more powerful machine or to wait until Flash releases an update, you could always revert to an older version of flash that was known to work correctly, like 9.0 but you'd have to search around for this, and also not all the latest online video's will work.

4. paetrick thread starter macrumors regular

eh? ok... It does not max out the CPU at all though.. only 7%... weird... why's flashsupport always wacked on mac os x..

5. Qinetic macrumors member

I hope that this can get fixed. YouTube is my best friend and I shouldn't need a "more powerful machien" just to watch a flash video.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It will only spike the CPU to 100%, thats probably why its lagging, i hope flash gets better on MAC OS X, it was originally made for Macs which is really annoying.

7. paetrick thread starter macrumors regular

YEah, this is really chocking news. I can view youtube video's without lag on my netbook for 250 dollars, I should be able to do it on a 1299 dollar mac :S

How can it not be more discussion around all this? As far as I know most "known" youtube bloggers use macs. And "macbook" is the most sold mac computer.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

9. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

flash works fine with mine.. though i have a 2.4 with 4gb of ram..

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Just like to say that I "downgraded" to the version that kastenbrust said was better but unfortunately it's still lagging. :mad:

Maybe it's the firefox 3.1 beta?

11. paetrick thread starter macrumors regular

There must be a solution to this??! or is 40%(macbook) mac users happy with lagging youtube?

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Fortunately for me, it's not YouTube that is laggy, but it's NBA.com. I care about that more than YouTube ;)

13. weezite macrumors regular

youtube is laggy for me. gif's bring up the stupid beach ball loading thing and brings browsing to a crawl. hopefully something will be released to fix this soon.

14. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Hmm, this is pretty interesting, though I have never experienced any lag at all on youtube...

15. cy88 macrumors member

cy88

I experiencing the lagging on my iMac with firefox. Problem seemed to have resolved by using safari, strange..

I should be getting either a MB or MBP today and I'll test it out.

16. paetrick thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know what has happened, if adobe has done an update or something because I don't have any lagg what so ever in flash with firefox anymore :p?!?!

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

What version are you running?

I'm running the latest and I still notice lag.

Check your version here:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

It says on the right hand side:

18. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

hmmm

Could it be your internet providers? not fast enough

19. amrk47 macrumors regular

yea firefox has a big problem with flash

but safari is excellent with flash

20. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

hmmmm

safari is excellent with flash? i could be wrong but when using youtube with safari it sends my cpu on safari into 50% and when watching a movie using safari sends the cpu into 90% being used :(