New aluminum macbook 2.4 vs. Previous gen. MBP 2.4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tclamp07, Oct 26, 2008.

1. tclamp07 macrumors member

Hello all im new to the forum and I love it! Im here to ask what you guys think about my situations and I know there have been numerous threads about this so i apologize for the monotony but my problem is I dont know whether I should buy the previous generations MBP 2.4 ghz penryn vs. the new aluminum MB 2.4 Im going to be using this mainly for general usage as well as photo editing and some music editing. I dont play any video games. Im a student so portability is a plus but not an issue. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

2. Doodledoo macrumors regular

The new MacBook should be better for you. It's a lot smaller and more portable, it can handle music and photo editing without much stress, and you don't need much of a graphics card if you don't play video games or do many other graphics-intensive things. If you can get a huge deal on the last-gen MBP, go for it, but it seems like the new MacBook is best suited for you.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

go with the old MBP. you get a much better screen, it,s only one pound more heavvy and has firewire ports. if you do music editing you will appreciate the speed of external HD's via FW800.

the old MBP is also more future proof because with the express card slot you can add card readers, esata port or whatever comes up. the GPU is twice as fast as the MB's and with snow leopard using the GPU more fore no graphics tasks that will pay off down the road.

my 2 cents.

4. pytter macrumors newbie

I agree - I have just gone through this same process and decided to buy an old MBP 2.4 :D - the price I got here in the Uk is about the same as the new MB 2.4 - so a no brainer for me given the larger screen size (and matt to boot) and plenty of FW connections. The Geforce 8600M GT should be plenty powerful for your needs (as i is more than enough for mine)!

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

If you don't need FW or going to do alot of gaming get the new alumn. It is actually faster than the old mbp :D

[​IMG]

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I own the last MB and its great. But now there is no reason NOT to
    buy the new aluminum MB. New led screen, much faster graphics and
    new alum case design with the option of a backlit keyboard.

But the new one is harder to service the screen etc, so be sure to get
    the applecare. Also, know there are new adhesive patches within the case
    that will tell Apple if any liquid got in the case. So know there will be no more
    BS accepted on this under warranty.

7. tclamp07 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys im still a little undecided because the new aluminum design is pretty attractive but i can get a great deal on a mbp through my university. I can buy brand new the 2.4 mbp for $1399 us. so I think thats what im going to go with. Thanks again!

8. minijon macrumors member

I made the same decision last monday. I should receive mine via FedEx tomorrow. I can't wait. The deciding factor for me was extra screen size. Considering that I'm in shape, I figure the extra pound isnt going to kill me, considering the other 15+ lbs of stuff I choose to carry around for classes, and I'll appreciate the extra space. Plus the dedicated graphics card will be great. Although, I've already updated my sig to reflect the new setup.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

do you have a comparison of the last generation MBP with the 8600 GPU and the new MBP? i think the MBP you have in your chart has a 2600 GPU.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

the source of the benchmarks is here http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/10/new-macbook-mac.html

here is another set of benchmarks done by macworld
    [​IMG]

11. MacJenn macrumors regular

Buy the Pro. I got the new 2.4 Macbook and I hate it. I'm taking it back for the Pro. I already boxed it back up and going to the store hopefully tomorrow. They can have it back.

12. tclamp07 thread starter macrumors member

13. MacJenn macrumors regular

I don't feel it is well made at all. It feels like they just rushed it out to make money without any quality control. The screen look horrible especially when dealing with blacks. Some of the keys are slanted, the battery is loose, and the trackpad isn't straight. I had the blackbook before this one without any problems. The screen is a little better on this one than my blackbook, but not like some of these fanbois who bought it would like for you to believe. They are just trying to make it sound better than it is. I have played with the Pro and I will just return this clunker and get one of those.

14. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Maybe that was Apple's goal all along: Make all the macbooks garbage so that people upgrade to the Pro. $$$$$ :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm joking... sort of. ;)

So are you buying a NEW MBP? I've been reading a lot of people making the jump to a MBP after being disappointed with the new MBs.

15. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I'm for the MBP. I tried editing pictures on a MB for 2 years. My wife has that machine, it's a great machine, but not for photo editing. I've got a MBP 2.5 now and the quality of the screen, not to mention the added screen real estate are awesome. You wouldn't think the 2.0 inches would make that much of a difference, but it really does.

So, my vote is for the MBP, either machine will be good. I thought the MB was the best laptop I'd owned and I go back to the 145B... But the weight & size difference are worth the bang for the buck.

Coachingguy

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Then get the MacBook Pro. It is a much better machine and is more future proof.

17. Islander macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar situation right now. Does anyone know the frequency of the NVIDIA 8600M GT failure in the previous generation of MBPs? And also, does anyone know if Apple has fixed Refurbished MBPs or are they just as likely to fail?

18. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Well from what I've been reading, Apple is extending the warranties on the affected machines.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-10-10/#8991

I might be getting a refurb/used MBP soon myself.

19. Mjmar macrumors 65816

As for performance they should be similar... So what it really comes down to is of you need the portability or want the extra screen size. I have a white MacBook, and can tell you now that it's a fantastic machine. And the MBP is obviously great too. You may be happier with the newer design of the MacBook over the aged design if the old MBP. Also, the portability of the MacBook is something that I've learned to love. You don't realize how convenient it is until you use a smaller laptop, especially at university.

20. esphil macrumors member

Get the refurb and save $700, I got my macbook refurb and it was made this month, if it was made after September it has the new updated graphics fix. Besides you have a warranty on it for 2 years if it fails, u can still add apple care and still save a ton from buying new. Its a great machine, just got mine! Its mint.

21. tclamp07 thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys just wanted to update you and let you know that I ended up getting the 2.4 aluminum macbook. I decided I could afford to spend the extra $100 because I really dont need the video card in the pro. Also its more portable so it will be easier to take to class thanks for all of your input!