New Aluminum Macbook good for Graphic Design?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simidesignerguy, Nov 27, 2008.

1. simidesignerguy macrumors newbie

Hey there everybody! I am a Graphic Designer using a 15", 2.2Ghz, 4GB Macbook Pro with a matte display. I am looking at the brand new Aluminum Macbooks for Graphic Design work. I am mainly using Illustrator, InDesign, and some Photoshop, for all my design work. Do any of you think that the Alum. Macbook would be sufficient for any kind of Design work? I mainly do Print Design, NO 3D.

The only two things that I am worried about are A. The integrated graphics, B. The glossy screen, and C. The smaller display size.:(

I also have the option of purchasing a 15", 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, with a 512MB Graphics Card for a cheap price, so I am just trying to figure out what would be best for me. I have just been so in love with the new Alum. Macbooks. Can you guys help me out!? Thank you very much.

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Just keep your current MBP it will keep on rocking for graphic design :D

3. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I agree with keeping your Macbook Pro. What can the new machines do that your current machine can't?

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

1+.

Check that: 50+. I have a MBP and use it for design and it's been great. I've had it over a year and no probs. I plan on keeping it eternally. When I have money enough to splash out again is when I'll buy me a new system, but not out of necessity.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Keep your MBP, or get the refurb MBP; it's still a far better computer than the new MB is, irrespective of how alluring and attractive the design of the latter is. The MBP has more power, better performance, that superb screen, is tested and tried and the refurb comes both with Apple's warranty and a very competitive price. I have a MBP and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers and good luck

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Ditto, keep your current macbook pro or get a refurb. One of my coworkers bought a refurb the week the new laptops were released just so he could ensure a matte screen.

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The screens in the macbooks are still horrendously bad, so without an external monitor they are not good for art stuff. You would not see a performance improvement in neither the new macbooks or MBP's since you have 4gbs of ram and thats really all that drives 2d design programs.

8. bonesboom macrumors member

Aren't all Mac computers/laptops good for Graphic Design? :confused: