New Aluminum Macbook or Black Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sansa11, Oct 28, 2008.

1. sansa11 macrumors member

I am finally getting an Apple Laptop, but I haven't decided which one to buy yet.

I really loved the Black Macbook and it was the best Macbook out of the three.
    But now, with the release of the new Aluminum Macbook, I'm unsure of which one to get.

I will use it to do the basic internet and e-mail, but I also do video editing and work with other graphics programs. I also work with Photoshop and do some work with Auto CAD programs. I do want to use it to hook it up with another monitor such as my 20" iMac and my Vizio TV.

If I were to buy the new Macbook then I would get the 2.0GHz model, not the 2.4GHz model. And I also want more hard drive space as well.

What do you think? The new 2.0GHz Aluminum Macbook or the Black Macbook?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I do know that you may have some issues with AutoCAD and any intensive video editing on a blackbook. The integrated intel graphics chip that it uses doesn't have great support for those graphics intensive tasks that are required by Final Cut Pro and AutoCAD.

I don't know much about the new NVIDIA graphics chip set and how it performs with these software packages but it is suppose to be a lot better and Apple claims that it can render 3D games such as Doom 3 and the like very well. In your situation, I would not recommend the blackbook, but I'm not 100% sure you wouldn't need a MBP to suit your graphics demands. If you intend to use iMovie or Final Cut Express to video edit and plan on opening AutoCAD once every couple of weeks and don't mind waiting then the new MacBook will be a good option for you, most likely.

I usually tend to lean toward the new technology since it is the latest thing. Good luck with you decision. I hope my rambling helps on some level.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Have you considered the MBP refurb? That offers an excellent option, a terrific computer with a great screen, very good performance, Apple's warranty and a competitive (because of the generous discount) price.

Re your own query, the black MB offers exceent value, the new MB is a bit more future proofed; it depends on where your own priorities/needs lie.
    Cheers

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If you do a lot of video editing and a lot of graphic intensive programs then I would buy a refurb (they are really new--from Apple--full warranty) Macbook Pro. I do some video editing on my blackbook and it does fine for me, but I'm just an amateur and I don't do anything that requires great detail. You can buy the refurb Pro for around the price you are looking at. I love my blackbook (for most people it will do whatever they want), but for what you described you might need the Pro. While the new alu Macbook has better graphics than the blackbook, it still doesn't have a dedicated graphics card like the Pro does.

5. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

I have considered the MBP refurb, but for my first Apple Laptop, I wanted it to be brand new and never used. Plus, I wanted a smaller screen size as well, but it's very tempting.

6. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

i used the new MacBook for the first time today and have to say that its awesome... Just incredible! The design and everything is just perfect...
    can't wait to get mine soon.. :D

PS: it was a 2.0 Ghz MacBook.

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I second this. I got a last generation MBP base 2.4 model that was only a month old on ebay for $1260 after the 10% off PayPal coupon. It still has 11 months of warranty left in it and is a great computer.

If you are going to be doing video editing - regardless of whether you use firewire or not - I would still recommend you stick with a system that has a firewire port. I guess I'm old fashioned in Apple's eyes but I believe everyone doing video work needs to have firewire. You never know when you may step up to a camera that takes advantage of the tech (MiniDV HD is still the best route IMO). Also, a MBP would allow you to expand storage space and setup an external scratch disk using FW 800.

My 2 cents.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Your money, but for what you want to do a Pro would be best and perform really well.

9. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

Since I've never bought anything that was refurbished, I wanted to know how well they really are. I know that sometimes they come with extra RAM or a bigger processor. I wanted to know if they are safe to buy. Are they in good condition too?

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

IMO they are checked even better than new systems because they had to have something fixed and then be tested. They come with a full warranty just like new systems and are in like new condition. I would have no reservations about purchasing a refurb.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Correct. I have never bought a refurb because I always got the back to school deals and the refurbs don't qualify, but my brother and a few friends have and they look and feel the same as the new ones. They get the same warranty and you can add the additional Applecare extended warranty on them like the new ones. Do a search on this site about refurbs and everyone agrees they are a great deal. If you can get this site to agree on something then that in itself is amazing.

12. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

So from the replies my choices aren't Black Macbook and New Aluminum Macbook anymore. They're Black Macbook or MBP Refurb. I still don't feel quite as confident with the refurbished products. Has anyone had any problems with them? And does it scratch easily? What about the Black Macbook and fingerprints?