New Aluminum MB Screen Brighter on Bottom

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by donster28, Dec 11, 2008.

1. donster28 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has this issue on theirs. It's really noticeable when whatching movies. Seems to be the backlight eminating from the bottom. :confused:

Also, I notice very slight flickering on the screen. I have worked with different montiors and I definitely know a refresh rate problem. At first, it's not noticeable, but by using the MB for a while you will start feeling some eye strain. I guess this is why some people think the screen is crappy. I just think it needs new graphic drivers.

Just downloaded the firmware updates yesterday and I ddin't notice any immediate difference...will examine further.

Thanks all.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

My screen is evenly lit....

The white MacBook i had gave me the worst headaches. Not the aluminum one tho... I dont know.

3. donster28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply again shady. Try watching a DVD movie with black bars at the top and bottom and then compare the brightness of the bars. Better yet, try to pause a completely black screen. The brightness tend to show more on a pure black background.

I noticed that I can remedy this by tilting the top of the screen a little forward, but what this does is make the top part of the screen darker. :confused: If I tilt it towards me, the top part will become brighter...hmmm.

There seem to be no definite middle ground to this but I can live with it since it's not major to me for simple computing purposes.

I think this is a screen design flaw. I wonder if a firmware update will fix this.

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I know what your saying about the black. Ive found that if i have my screen brightness anywhere from half way to 3/4 it looks the best. When i have the brightness all the way up i kinda see what your talking about. (on movies that is)

5. donster28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree. But I think we can live with it. A small complaint to an otherwise awesome portable. :)

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

No doubt! I'm 110% happy with this computer! I couldn't ask for anything more!

7. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The uneven black level or brightness across the vertical span of the screen is found on all Macbooks, even the plastic ones. You can't fix it with software since it's a hardware limitation. They stuck cheaper panels into the Macbook compared to the Pro and Air which use much better looking, much more even panels.

It's up to you if it's something you can live with.