New aluminum wireless keyboard issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jddb77, Oct 2, 2007.

1. jddb77 macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a feelling I'm missing something very basic here, but I got my new wireless aluminum keyboard yesterday and though I love it, I can't get the Functions keys to work properly. There are little icons above some of the F keys to control volume, brightness, expose, etc. but how do you make the key do that? I've tried hitting the Fn key, the command key, the Alt key, the shift key, all in combination with the F keys....it always does the same thing as if I had only hit the F key (for example, my F12 brings up Dashboard, but according to the little icon, it should also control volume. How do I use the volume control? )
    I'm sure I'll feel dumb when someone gives me the answer.
    Running with a Core Duo iMac that is nearly 2 years old.
    thanks!

2. Zolk macrumors member

Zolk

3. jddb77 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I didn't want to start a new topic since this title fits, so here it goes:

I have the new wireless aluminum keyboard I use with my Macbook pro. I have a constant problem with what seems like a stuck key or a hardware fault. I get ``````` all the time and if I press a key it stops, but most of the time it seems to start up again. I think it is a fault in the keyboard because if I press just right or flex the keyboard a little it stops until I set it back down. I just bought it so I was thinking about exchanging it unless others have noticed it. It is only the back tick ` key that is being sent.

- James

5. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

As of this morning i also have the same problem......

6. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I took mine back Monday. I have not been able to try it too much since picking up a new one Thursday. The problem with the wired keyboard turned out to be the old bluetooth keyboard was thrown on a pile and not turned off, but it did not have anything to do with my aluminum wireless keyboard. It would always have the ```` problem at home and work and just pressing on the keyboard slightly or pressing a key caused it to stop. That makes me think it is a hardware defect.

On a side note:

We have three Bestbuy stores here, but only one has an Apple store. When I took the keyboard back to exchange it they were all out and said the next truck comes in Thursday. I checked the web and all the bestbuy's in the area showed the keyboards in stock except for the closest one with the Apple store. I finally went to the other bestbuy a few miles away and looked around for it. They did not have any Apple products so I asked a sales person and he said, "Yeah, we have about 30 wireless keyboards in the back. They shipped them to us but we do not have an Apple Store so we don't know what to do with them.", at least I was able to get one.