Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

American Express today launched a new Instant Card Number Apple Pay feature that's designed to allow new Amex users to add their cards to Apple Pay immediately after approval, without the need to wait for the physical card.

applepaytouchid.jpg

This will allow customers who have been approved for a card to begin using it on compatible devices right away while the physical card is shipped from American Express.

The card can be added right to Apple Wallet on iPhone and Apple Watch and can be used in apps, on the web, and in stores where Apple Pay is accepted. The feature is available to American Express Card Members from AmericanExpress.com when approved for a new U.S. Consumer Card.

American Express says that new customers will be able to use the benefits of an American Express Membership, such as earning rewards on purchases, as soon as card approval happens with no need to wait.

Article Link: New American Express Users Can Add Card Instantly to Apple Pay After Being Approved

Böhme417

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
This was already possible before. You had access to the card number upon approval, so you could just add it manually to Apple Pay.

Finally, Chase was doing this for a while.

I kept reading this, but it never worked for me on a recent Chase card. When I would go in the app to digital wallet, it only showed my cards already in Apple Pay and didn’t show the new card at all.

Reactions: icwhatudidthere

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
This was already possible before. You had access to the card number upon approval, so you could just add it manually to Apple Pay.

I kept reading this, but it never worked for me on a recent Chase card. When I would go in the app to digital wallet, it only showed my cards already in Apple Pay and didn’t show the new card at all.
We’ve had a number of new AMEX cards since Apple Pay rolled out and we’ve never seen more than the last 5 card numbers, on the approval notices, until the physical card arrived.

Unless something recently changed, I don’t see how a manual entry could have been possible.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
(You get 10k bonus miles by spending 500$ Within 3 months of getting card.)
Air Miles. Wow, I haven’t heard of those in a long time. Here in the U.K. they give you Avios, which is a kind of points thing. If you save up enough Avios AND you want to go to somewhere off the beaten tack at a horribly unpopular chilly time of the year AND you’re prepared to travel on peculiar days of the week you might just get a free flight!

I like AMEX. I’ve got one of their cards. Customer service is second to none. Retailers? Not so keen, because AMEX charge them an arm and a leg, so a lot of stores don’t accept them.

Reactions: jimthing

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Air Miles. Wow, I haven’t heard of those in a long time. Here in the U.K. they give you Avios, which is a kind of points thing. If you save up enough Avios AND you want to go to somewhere off the beaten tack at a horribly unpopular chilly time of the year AND you’re prepared to travel on peculiar days of the week you might just get a free flight!

I like AMEX. I’ve got one of their cards. Customer service is second to none. Retailers? Not so keen, because AMEX charge them an arm and a leg, so a lot of stores don’t accept them.
That’s due to the capped interchanges UK and Europe have on credit cards which makes it so it’s expensive to offer points and miles.

Reactions: jimthing

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I’m a yank posted to Switzerland (I suppose link is for folks w a USA home address. But try it anyway, I think it refers to not just the blue card but all AMEX ((USA?)) cards on offer.) Best part about Delta SkyMiles if you get them is they never expire so accumulating them with such a card over time eventually results in a trip.)

Folks are pretty CC paranoid here, preferring cash or debit cards. LoL. But the payment infrastructure is pretty much all contactless (except bus) and surprisingly many places take AMEX (except my local McDonald’s LoL.)

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012

I still have my US Bank FlexPerks Visa (converted from a NW WorldPerks Visa when NW moved to AMEX) that they give their version of Avios on. Their game is to offer a catalogue of overpriced things you can buy with their points. I don’t even bother. I pay the annual fee just to have it on my FICO credit report for an almost 30y history and as a backup in my ApplePay wallet.). I use my AMEX for almost everything.

For kicks, I recently signed up for an Apple Card. It’s offer is kind of **** tho. If you use on Apple purchases, you get a 3% cash rebate, but you get no supplemental insurance or warranty coverage, similarly for other categories but w less than the 3% Apple rebate. But for folks buying groceries w Apple Pay who want cash not points or miles, the 2% is competitive and the app is hassle free.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
We’ve had a number of new AMEX cards since Apple Pay rolled out and we’ve never seen more than the last 5 card numbers, on the approval notices, until the physical card arrived.

Unless something recently changed, I don’t see how a manual entry could have been possible.

I think there's some sort of internal algorithm that governs whether you get the card number beforehand or not. Personally, I've never gotten any AmEx card number before getting the physical card, either.

That’s due to the capped interchanges UK and Europe have on credit cards which makes it so it’s expensive to offer points and miles.

On the flipside, European merchants tend to be a lot more accepting of cards than the US (minus exceptions in a few countries), quite possibly because interchange is no longer a massive concern. Heck, a ton of merchants in the US are only bothering with contactless now because of the pandemic and likely would never have done so otherwise, not to mention seeing stuff like minimums and surcharges far more often here.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

lartola

macrumors 68020
Feb 10, 2017
I still have my US Bank FlexPerks Visa (converted from a NW WorldPerks Visa when NW moved to AMEX) that they give their version of Avios on. Their game is to offer a catalogue of overpriced things you can buy with their points. I don’t even bother. I pay the annual fee just to have it on my FICO credit report for an almost 30y history and as a backup in my ApplePay wallet.). I use my AMEX for almost everything.

For kicks, I recently signed up for an Apple Card. It’s offer is kind of **** tho. If you use on Apple purchases, you get a 3% cash rebate, but you get no supplemental insurance or warranty coverage, similarly for other categories but w less than the 3% Apple rebate. But for folks buying groceries w Apple Pay who want cash not points or miles, the 2% is competitive and the app is hassle free.
Actually a number of merchants other than Apple itself have jumped on board and now offer 3% cashback with the Apple Card + Apple Pay instead of just 2% (Uber, Walgreens and Panera, for example), and presumably more will join the group later.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I think there's some sort of internal algorithm that governs whether you get the card number beforehand or not. Personally, I've never gotten any AmEx card number before getting the physical card, either.

On the flipside, European merchants tend to be a lot more accepting of cards than the US (minus exceptions in a few countries), quite possibly because interchange is no longer a massive concern. Heck, a ton of merchants in the US are only bothering with contactless now because of the pandemic and likely would never have done so otherwise, not to mention seeing stuff like minimums and surcharges far more often here.
I think the US contactless game was different. Some big not particularly customer oriented stores like Walmart, Kroger, etc., saw the shift as an opportunity to coopt the tech by monopolizing with their own “Pay” functions. They started with CurrentC which was rejected by customer ms and defections by inaugural signees who went to Apple Pay for NFC convenience and faster checkout thruput. Walmart and IIRC Kroger picked up the CurrentC source code and put their own branding mask on top of it.

They did this because it would be a way to force users in a default way to pay with debit cards which have lower fees than credit.

Now I expect that out of concern of lawsuits stemming from infecting their customers at checkouts, more so than just protecting those customers, Kroger is again trialing Apple Pay up in WA state. (Heard Walmart was up to something similar but didn’t confirm it because I don’t know anybody who likes to shop there.)

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Not everyone gets a credit card to go into debt. If one is responsible and pays the statement balance every month credit cards can be a great way to earn rewards toward free stuff.
It goes far beyond that too. If you use the hell out of your cards and pay in time, you get the perks as you’ve described. In addition this will increase your fico score. Having a couple cards you use and pay off on time is a big plus there. The tertiary effect is that a high fico score can lower your loan rates, insurance premiums and act as a proxy referral when looking for a job.

Using credit cards is a very smart thing if one isn’t very dumb about how they use them.

ddauerbach

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
When Chase replaced my visa card after a fraudulent charge the new card showed up instantly in Apple Pay, well before the FedEx-ed new cards.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Böhme417

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009

If I’m recalling correctly, as it’s been several months (maybe a year) since, you could go to your account online and view it. There was a page that would display the card info with a little timer counting down how long it would display it. I used it to make a purchase before my card arrived.

JakubWrobel

Cancelled
Apr 22, 2020

Doesn’t seem like it. I applied for and was approved for a Schwab Amex card, but can’t add my new card to Apple Pay. Amex app and website shows the last 5 digits like you say and there is no way to view the card security code.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I wish more website support Apple Pay. It not only provides greater sense of security, I no longer have to deal with expiration date.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.