[New and Improved] Aqua Window Controls for MacOS (High) Sierra & OS X El Capitan

Discussion in 'UI Customization' started by redheeler, Aug 20, 2017.

1. redheeler, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018

redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Aqua Window Controls for MacOS (High) Sierra & OS X El Capitan - New and Improved Version

WindowControls-AquaBlue.png WIndowControls-AquaGraphite.png

Newly updated with an improved Aqua look. Includes color and graphite versions for both Retina and standard displays!

Download from Dropbox - For MacOS Mojave (Coming Soon)
    Download from Dropbox - For MacOS High Sierra, MacOS Sierra, and OS X El Capitan

See the included Read Me file for how to install!

Good way to give your Mac some uniqueness; or just enjoy a touch of Apple's older UI styling, but still new and not just taken straight from the older OS. :)

2. redheeler thread starter macrumors 604

redheeler

I've updated the original post with a new zip file containing both SystemAppearance.car and GraphiteAppearance.car (taken from and compatible with the current build of High Sierra).

3. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Excellent work! It looks great. By the way, I think you can also apply the theme without logging out if you use the command killall Finder & killall SystemUIServer.

Now all we need is some way to get a nice compromise between the scroll bars of OS X and macOS… I miss that blue barber's pole masked beneath the bar.

[​IMG]

4. redheeler thread starter macrumors 604

redheeler

I have experimented with Aqua scrollbars and some other UI elements besides the traffic lights. Pretty much impossible to get the the lighting/texture inside the scrollbar to work as it did in pre-10.7 versions of Mac OS X, but it can still be given an Aqua look (although not without some bugs, as you see here the horizontal scrollbar is upside-down and there is no inactive state, meaning they stay blue all the time even with windows in the foreground).
    Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 8.52.46 AM.png

5. redheeler, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017

redheeler thread starter macrumors 604

redheeler

This is what the dark mode version will look like (applies to Quicktime Player, FaceTime, Calculator, Photos in edit mode). Turning into quite the project...
    Dark Mode Traffic Lights.png

6. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

7. redheeler thread starter macrumors 604

redheeler

Just released an updated version 2 with the DarkAppearance files and an easy install script.

8. Eithanius macrumors 65816

9. redheeler thread starter macrumors 604

redheeler

It doesn't appear that ThemeEngine allows easy drag-and-drop of a bunch of items from one file to another. Doing each one-by-one would be very time-consuming.

10. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

It always baffles me to see how fresh that Aqua look still is. One of the greatest achievements. I think that blue also served to bring some subconscious serenity to users. At least it does to me, just looking at screenshots.

11. bhtwo macrumors 6502a

bhtwo

Great work! Good to see that some theming is still possible on mac.
    I'm going to stick with Flavours for as long as I can though.

12. redheeler thread starter macrumors 604

redheeler

Updated the first post with version 3 and a few changes such as thinner outlines on non-Retina displays:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 6.22.17 PM.png

13. R2FX, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

R2FX macrumors regular

R2FX

Downloaded and installed - grey looks is stunning, but I find the colored bit too saturated? Any chance to tone it down a bit...Mavericks like perhaps?:)

one more thing - are the Aqua buttons same size as the default ones? they seem a tad too big

14. redheeler thread starter macrumors 604

redheeler

OS X Mavericks:
    titlebarcontrols.graphite.key.utilwin.variant2.zoom.png
    My Version:
    Graphite.png
    You can see they're pretty much the same color. Sadly mine doesn't match the rest of the UI as well, as Apple switched to a dark gray in OS X Yosemite instead of the original Mac OS X graphite color. Doesn't really bother me as the difference is subtle.
    I chose the Mac OS X Snow Leopard and earlier size over the Lion and later size, which luckily still displays fine in the current MacOS. Have a note about this at the bottom of the read-me file.

15. R2FX macrumors regular

R2FX

Sorry my bad! I meant to say the colored, 'semaphore' like version seems bit saturated... grey one is perfect :)

do you happen to have a version of those .car files with Mavericks like size please? or any tips how to make it :)))

16. ccard3dev macrumors regular

ccard3dev

I would love to see this also!

17. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

18. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Any chance of a Dark Theme in general...?

19. redheeler thread starter macrumors 604

redheeler

Try this project for dark mode in apps that use system native colors/controls:

https://github.com/insidegui/DarkMode/

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be working for me on High Sierra.

20. redheeler, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

redheeler thread starter macrumors 604

redheeler

Experimenting with theming some more elements aside from the traffic lights. This is the recreation of Aqua I've come up with.
    Aqua-Recreation.png
    Unlike the old Aqua, this recreation is optimized for Retina displays, and white (instead of black) text necessitates a darker Aqua blue for the modern MacOS. Still some work to go before I can release it, though.

Edit:
    Not enough room for circular buttons, but this still looks pretty good.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 12.31.34 PM.png

21. Eithanius macrumors 65816

The Title Bar can be a little darker shades of grey to match Leopard... The entire interface is still too much white...

22. bhtwo macrumors 6502a

bhtwo

Agreed... but the aqua buttons look gorgeous!

23. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

24. jgdeschamps macrumors regular

Congrats on your work! Can't wait for you to release the UI button customization script.
    I still have a partition with Snow Leopard in my 2008 iMac and I love working on it because of the beautiful Aqua graphics.
    Thanks for making public your work.

25. brainkilla macrumors newbie

brainkilla