New and Improved MacBook Bag thread!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wsteineker, Nov 27, 2007.

1. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

So I figured I'd throw my hat into the increasingly crowded "I don't know how to make decisions for myself so I'll let semi-anonymous fellow Mac junkies pull the trigger for me" ring! Here's the deal. I've just purchased a brand spankin' new SR BlackBook. It will be living in a ZeroShock III sleeve, mostly because I'm no fan of purpose built laptop bags. I find that they tend to be... fugly. I've actually managed to narrow it down to two bags that couldn't be more different and price is genuinely not an issue. That's the problem.

The first bag is old school cool. It's a Filson Small Carry On and, for those of you who aren't familiar, their stuff is bulletproof. Check it out at http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092397&cp=2065674.2065687.2065706&parentPage=family. The second bag is a lot more modern, but not in that "Hello. Would you mind stealing my laptop?" kind of way. It's a Patagonia Half Mass. It's also a super reliable make, and the bag is a lot more modern-outdoorsy. You can view it by clicking http://www.patagonia.com/usa/product/product_focus.jsp?OPTION=PRODUCT_FOCUS_DISPLAY_HANDLER&catcode=MAIN.CLOTHING_GEAR&style_color=48271.

Looks and functionality are both issues. Give me your honest opinions! Feel free to suggest other bags within the guidelines listed above! I should probably say that it'll be carrying my MacBook (in sleeve) w/ power adapter, Nintendo DS Lite w/ power adapter in a Waterfield Designs DS Lite case, 5G iPod and headphones, BlackBerry 8830, a book or two and the occasional work file or jacket. I'm REALLY looking forward to your feedback, folks. Help me, MacRumors users! You're my only hope! :)

2. iLukeisamazing macrumors newbie

Booq Bags?

I would also like to add a question after the original poster's question is answered:

Does anyone have anything bad to say about Booq Bags? I have read a lot of good things about them and I need a good bag and sleeve to carry books, laptop, iPod, iPhone, etc.

Thanks in advance.

3. ruZZ.il macrumors member

That Patagonia bag looks a lot more comfortable and practical than the Filson. not as elegant though, if thats what you're after. I'd hate to live with the Filsons strap (which looks like it could be switched, with much effect). I think a blackberry, black, or even the midblue Patagonia would be nice for most things. It doesn't seem to be too padded though.. nor the other.. so I guess the good sleeve is a must+. Good luck!

4. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

The Patagonia bag had a surprising amount of padding on the back and bottom, actually. I particularly like it blackberry, too. It's a great bag. Very streamlined and easy to access on the go. There's just something about that Filson, though. Any other thoughts, kids?

5. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

The second bag is nice, but IMO Crumpler has the best (and grooviest) bags :D

6. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I dig Crumpler bags, but I'm just not sure I can pull them off. I'm a low key guy who spends most of my time at work or outdoors. The Crumpler stuff is just a little too flashy for me. Still, it's mighty good looking...

7. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

So I think I'm going to go with the Patagonia Half Mass in Blackberry. I'm sacrificing style for function, but the Patagonia's still not bad looking. Any other thoughts before I place the order?