New and looking at Canon Powershot SX110IS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by firehazardcs, Feb 13, 2009.

1. firehazardcs macrumors newbie

I'm new to photography and I'm a college student looking for a camera to take to parties but I would also like taking pictures of my campus and other scenery. So I'm wondering if investing in the Canon Powershot SX110IS is a good idea or not. I have never owned a camera before and I realize this one is somewhat bulky to take to parties. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas. Thanks.

2. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I have it's predecessor: the SX100IS. And it is more bulky than the 110, I believe.

But it's an AWESOME camera for the price. I bought mine in June and still carry it with me as a point and shoot. I've taken roughly 6,000 shots with mine and it's still going strong and shows no sign of wear. If you'd like some sample shots, I can upload some to my flickr. I've been renovating my site so I don't have any up currently, however.

At the time I was debating between the SX100IS and the Sony H3 and H10. I'm glad I made the decision that I did, although I've not extensively tried the Sony's.

3. firehazardcs thread starter macrumors newbie

That would help me out a great deal if you could manage to upload some shot for me. If you're busy renovating though its no big deal.

Also, I was kind of hoping for more responses from a community about digital photography. If anyone has any suggestions for starter point and shoot cameras please let me know.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I was looking at one of these - they seem to be on sale right now, upgrade my budget Canon A460 since I can't afford an Olympus PEN... :(

My deal is that I'm used to my E-420 AFA walk-around. But it's still bulkier than a P&S (and louder when in quiet meeting settings).

This P&S has IS, which should help with ISO, but still a much smaller sensor.

I tried taking comparison pics with my P&S zooming in, and my E-420 at 25mm (which would be like getting the Pancake Lens instead) and cropping.

The pics each have their advantages/disadvantages (can post if you want to see them).

Suggestions?