New and looking for some insight!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Cookiemonster, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Cookiemonster macrumors regular

Cookiemonster

Hello all!

I have an iphone 4 from sept of 2010, I had a friend jailbreak it for me earlier this year- I have no idea how they did it...

Now Im looking to upgrade to ios 5 and would like my phone to remain jailbroken- what are the steps I need to take and if there is a walk through tutorial that would be awesome.
    How do I back everything that I have on my phone now- photos, apps, ect??
    Are there any problems with the new ios5 or the jailbreak for it?

Thank you all much : ):eek:

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

without sounding too pedantic, searching really would've helped.

At the moment, iOS5 only has a tethered jailbreak, which means you'd need to connect to your computer every time you restart. We're awaiting the release of the untethered jailbreak. There's no release date yet, either.

Backup via iTunes as normal. Might be an idea to save your SHSH blobs, although that could soon be irrelevant.

I'd stay put for now, personally :)

3. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i concur, what is it about ios5 that you need so bad? that you can't do really with a iphone 4 jb.

please don't say port siri.

4. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

IMO - Best function is that you can text over wifi to another person using IOS5. I don't have service at my house so this was huge.

5. Cookiemonster thread starter macrumors regular

Cookiemonster

emmm I know Siri is only for the 4s and older phones are not capable of that-
    Its been probably 11 months since my phone has been updated at all, on some level and Im looking to make some changes and such... Also my alarm on my phone is not working and I dont understand why- I just need an overall upgrade!

6. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

I agree... iOS5 is nothing special at all. The only feature it introduced that I am thankful for is the free WiFi Sync.

I have a 4S running 5.0 and I can't stand it, I went back to using my jailbroken 3GS on 4.3.3 a few days back. I'll switch back to the 4S once an untethered JB is out.