Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalashnikov

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Hello everyone im new to the forum and i want to say hi to everybody. I just got a quick question. Tomorow i will be picking up a macbook pro. Im still stuck between getting 17 inch or 15 inch with a few add ons such as upgrade to 2.6 and hard drive upgrade 300 gig i think the apple site states. What does everybody else recomend? Thanks!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Hi welcome to the forums. :)

Naturally, it comes down to personal preference, but I prefer 15" models because they're more portable, plus you save a little money (or have more money to spend on extras).

shamrock1213

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
If I were purchasing the 17" MBP from the Apple store, I would be inclined to only upgrade the screen to the HD matte screen. The text on the screen may seem small to you know, but once resolution independence comes into full force (which should be within a year) the extra resolution will be very desirable.

Upgrading to the 300 GB HDD may actually make your computer slightly slower when compared to the stock 250 GB drive as it is a slower drive. I don't think the extra 50 GB in density are enough to completely mitigate any speed differences.

I have mixed feelings on the processor upgrade. $250 seems to be a bit of a premium for just 100 mhz in speed. You would get more bang for your buck by upgrading ram, but not at the time of purchase. You can get the same speced ram from places such as OWC or Mushkin for significantly cheaper than what Apple will include on a BTO.

Hi welcome to the forums. :)

Naturally, it comes down to personal preference, but I prefer 15" models because they're more portable, plus you save a little money (or have more money to spend on extras).

That is also a very good point. If portability is a concern (and even if it is not), you can buy a very good (but not a cinema display) external 20" LCD for the difference in price between two otherwise identically specced MBPs (the 15" 2.5 Ghz and 17" 2.5 Ghz)

Kalashnikov

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Thanks! Well it wont leave the house much at all. I was kind of wondering the same thing 250 dollers for 2.6 but the ram is just heart braking expensive. I think im just going to buy the 17 inch as it is 2.5 and so. And ram is much cheaper than what apple wants for it so in the future that i need more ram ill buy some from someplace else. Ill post some pics up tomorow when i buy the mbp. Are there any restrictions or wait before i can post pictures on here? O yea Thanks again but ill probably be asking more questions since this is my first mac. ps. windows sucks......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.