New and problem with MAC throttling download speeds.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HoldenBurn1000, Jun 5, 2010.

1. HoldenBurn1000 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

new here so firstly hello!

Im here on a mission to find out why my macbook running snow leopard will only give me bang on 20mb download when every other windows machine in my house is giving me 50mb.

I have tried to do a bit of google searching but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I assume it must be the macbook and not any router settings etc?

any help would be great.

Thanks guys.

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

What router and what kind of connection to the router (wired, wireless) are the various computers using?

3. HoldenBurn1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh yes sorry I always forget the important stuff!

50Mb Virgin Cable line.

D-link router, all other pc's are hooked up via Ethernet, this macbook is wirless.

I have had a good look through all the router settings and cant seem to find anything which should be limiting wifi speeds.

Do you need to know the exact model of router?

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

802.11n wireless is 150 Mega-bits, not Mega-bytes. Divide by 8, and you get a top speed of 18.75 MB per second.

5. oculus42 macrumors 6502

I'm guessing the rest of the computers are connected using gigabit ethernet, which has plenty of extra bandwidth compared to the wireless. The router model would clear some of that up.

6. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

either try using Ethernet or try getting better router like airport

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Has nothing to do with using a better router. Pre-n sppeds can't keep up
    with 50mb. It needs to be a wired gigabit connection.

8. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Standard ethernet transfers at 100Mb/s without many exceptions.

Wireless on the other hand is susceptible to many forms of interference. Although your router will say 56Mb/s with wireless G, you will never achieve this even whilst sitting next to the router.

When I transfer files between my Macbook Pro (wireless) and my NAS (ethernet) I usually get around 16Mb/s using my G router. If I upgraded to an N wireless router I'd get a higher speed (but nowhere near the theoretical maximum of 150Mb/s, for the same reasons - interference from microwaves as well as walls blocking the signal).

So yeah, that is why your Mac gets slower speeds than your other computers. If you connected via ethernet it would achieve the same speeds.

9. HoldenBurn1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks a lot guys. It is a wireless N router for the record but I guess it must just be asking to much of it!

I have a few homeplugs lying around so might start using ethernet as I tend to do most of my downloading on this Mac book in the living room, so annoying I don't get the right speeds!

Thanks for the advice.