Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Dang. So no one has any opinions regarding my speculation of the minor spec-bumped GN2 replacing the current GN to maintain the same or close to the same entry price point. While LG (or Sony or whoever) designs the beefier Nexus 2012 device for the usual $500?

I thought that'd generate a lot more discussion and speculation. -_-'

I don't see a new version of Android coming out anytime soon so a totally new dev phone (nexus) is pointless. But a spec bump on the current GN would make sense so people could still enjoy vanilla android and at the same time not have an outdated phone.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Here are my opinions:

SAMSUNG - This is the most likely manufacturers whether it's one or three or five. And it makes sense. But, I'm not convinced Samsung will be able to deliver a device with premium materials and builds. It could be just a spec-bumped Galaxy Nexus, or something very similar to the GSIII but with a bit of a curve that they've been known to do for the Nexus line. If they went with Samsung, I wouldn't be unhappy per se, but really hoping for Samsung to deliver more in terms of build quality.

As long as Samsung doesn't add it's yucky apps.

HTC - These guys are a hit or miss. I'm 50/50 about them. On one hand, they make decent looking devices (I actually think the HTC One X is overrated, a bit ugly and clunky looking) and have great displays. On the other hand, their insistence on putting the power/sleep button on top annoys me to no end. It makes the device horrible to use, reaching so far up for that power/sleep button. It's a deal breaker, in my opinion. Plus, nearly every device they've put out has had battery horror stories, so I just don't trust them anymore.

Besides the poor battery reputation, HTC has a history of making great smartphones. But one thing I absolutely hate about HTC is they have a habit of making the perfect smartphone minus the one huge spec that I always need. Whether it's missing a radio band, external memory, too little memory, or whatever. They always seem to exclude the one thing I want which makes me not purchase. This has been my experience with HTC since the Windows Mobile days.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
There will be a new version of Android, but its not going to be a major release but a point release. like 2.1 to 2.2 to 2.3. So its rumored to keep the jelly bean name and be 4.2.
If its only a spec bump from the galazy nexus, i'll be going with either the nokia lumia 920 or iphone 5. I'll still keep my nexus to mess around with. Nokia and Microsoft need to HURRY UP!! haha

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Multiple sources (2 of which AndroidandMe claim are reliable) support the rumor that there will be a Optimus Nexus based on the LG Optimus G.

There's decent evidence (spec sheet, photos taken) that the GN2 is a minor spec-bumped Galaxy Nexus.

The only rumor that doesn't have as much weight is the HTC Nexus 5.

But, if you believe the "5 Nexus" devices in 2012 rumor then it does add perfectly with the Nexus 7 and Q.

I really think this will be the full line up:

Nexus 7 - ASUS made 7" tablet.

Nexus 5 - HTC made 5" phablet

Optimus Nexus - LG made 4.7" smartphone with high-end specs.

Galaxy Nexus 2 - Samsung made spec-bumped Galaxy Nexus, maintaining entry-price of $350-399.

Everyone is happy. C'mon, Google.

EDIT: I guess it's possible there will be a Nexus 10 too. Something's gotta get bumped then.... :T

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I want a Next Nexus phone but please be HTC.

HTC phones are overrated. They typically package it with a too-small battery, and the wake/sleep button is always at the top. For devices as large as 4.6-4.8", a wake/sleep button at the top is horribly cumbersome to use. It's an absolute deal breaker.

LG has the better battery technology, as good (if not better) screen tech, and is smart enough to realize a phone that large should have all its buttons on the sides.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Snap: http://androidandme.com/2012/10/new...hanges-lg-optimus-g-nexus-coming-in-november/

LG Optimus Nexus looking more and more real.

Also: "As previously reported, the whole flagship smartphone concept for the Nexus program is a thing of the past. Any manufacturer can release phones as part of the Nexus program, but they must adhere to strict standards.

In order to qualify for the Nexus program handset manufacturers must use stock Android and 64 MB of secure memory for media streaming. Custom UI skins will be allowed as part of a new “customization center”. There are additional hardware requirements that are needed to make sure the devices will support Android 5.0, which is scheduled to arrive by fall 2013."

I'm still not sure this is the best thing for the Nexus line (and especially "Customization Center" which will allow users to switch between stock Android and the respective manufacturer's own skin.)... but also can't deny this is all very exciting. A lot more to read in the link.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Snap: http://androidandme.com/2012/10/new...hanges-lg-optimus-g-nexus-coming-in-november/

LG Optimus Nexus looking more and more real.

Also: "As previously reported, the whole flagship smartphone concept for the Nexus program is a thing of the past. Any manufacturer can release phones as part of the Nexus program, but they must adhere to strict standards.

In order to qualify for the Nexus program handset manufacturers must use stock Android and 64 MB of secure memory for media streaming. Custom UI skins will be allowed as part of a new “customization center”. There are additional hardware requirements that are needed to make sure the devices will support Android 5.0, which is scheduled to arrive by fall 2013."

I'm still not sure this is the best thing for the Nexus line (and especially "Customization Center" which will allow users to switch between stock Android and the respective manufacturer's own skin.)... but also can't deny this is all very exciting. A lot more to read in the link.

...aaaand yet more real:

http://androidandme.com/2012/10/smartphones-2/first-hands-on-report-of-the-lg-optimus-g-nexus/

“I can confirm the next nexus is LG Optimus based. The phone looks surprisingly like the Galaxy Nexus and does not have sharp corners like the LG Optimus we already know. It has a silver’ring like the iPhone 3G around the outer edge of the screen which seemed to be similar to the Galaxy Nexus in size but was much better in brightness.

Bolded part makes me especially giddy. Not sure if that "silver ring" will look good though, but I sure am happy the phone doesn't feature that typical LG look.

Who knows if it's true at all of course but...oh what the hell, I'll just go right ahead and start getting my hopes up :D

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, if true, thank god it doesn't look like the LG Optimus G.

Still think the name is ridiculous though, "LG Optimus G Nexus". That's one G too many.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
I was very excited about the optimus G, but looking at the locked bootloaders that LG goes by is a put off since LG has a rep for late updates.

Then came the rumors about the optimus nexus, very excited again but sadly disappointed by the 8mp camera...if there is a 13mp why not go with that? even though that was not great so I can only imagine how disappointed i'd be with the 8mp. Its not the same 8mp on other smartphones...

On top of all that adding the 16gb max helped me make my choice easily.

Guess I might have to go with no nexus phone if this is their standards set for manufacturers to build nexus phones.

I know no micro-sd cards must be one them. Very contradictory of Google with their freedom of choice. So now we can buy any brand nexus from different manufactures but they'll all be specd the same :rolleyes:

That's like apple saying; you can buy the iphone in any colour you want. Pick black or white lol

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I was very excited about the optimus G, but looking at the locked bootloaders that LG goes by is a put off since LG has a rep for late updates.

Then came the rumors about the optimus nexus, very excited again but sadly disappointed by the 8mp camera...if there is a 13mp why not go with that? even though that was not great so I can only imagine how disappointed i'd be with the 8mp. Its not the same 8mp on other smartphones...

On top of all that adding the 16gb max helped me make my choice easily.

Guess I might have to go with no nexus phone if this is their standards set for manufacturers to build nexus phones.

I know no micro-sd cards must be one them. Very contradictory of Google with their freedom of choice. So now we can buy any brand nexus from different manufactures but they'll all be specd the same :rolleyes:

That's like apple saying; you can buy the iphone in any colour you want. Pick black or white lol

The Nexus has always been a developer phone and it hasnt had the best specs so this isnt a surprise. Google isnt holding back. It is staying teh course for the phone but since it has been popular, i was thinking maybe they would make it a little better this time around.

Im fine with a 8mp camera myself and i want a micro SD slot which it hasnt had. Hoping one of them gets one this time around but it hasnt been one of the features. If not i wont get one unless it comes with at least 32 GB of memory.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
HTC One X+

Best screen out there (4.7in), Quadcore LTE, 64GB, 2100mAh batter.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
HTC One X+

Best screen out there (4.7in), Quadcore LTE, 64GB, 2100mAh batter.

True this is nice. Are you okay with sense? Because I am not. And I shy away from that power button up top. But then again I wonder if I could reach the one on the side of this LG...

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
True this is nice. Are you okay with sense? Because I am not. And I shy away from that power button up top. But then again I wonder if I could reach the one on the side of this LG...

Sense 4.1 is pretty nice, they cleaned up the multitasking and brought back the quick settings menu. The power button on the top doesn't bother me much, but anytime I go from using an iPhone for awhile to another phone I always find myself going for a non-existent home button. lol

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
HTC phones are overrated. They typically package it with a too-small battery, and the wake/sleep button is always at the top. For devices as large as 4.6-4.8", a wake/sleep button at the top is horribly cumbersome to use. It's an absolute deal breaker.

LG has the better battery technology, as good (if not better) screen tech, and is smart enough to realize a phone that large should have all its buttons on the sides.
Gotta agree with the wake button on top being lame. I love the quality of my HTC, but I really wish I could wake it with a button under my thumb. I've gotten skilled at waking the phone with my index finger, and thus I can use the phone with one hand pretty well, but it was annoying at first, coming from the iPhone.

On the whole, I really like HTC overall... but I really think my next phone will be the Note 2, unless something better comes out first.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Sense 4.1 is pretty nice, they cleaned up the multitasking and brought back the quick settings menu. The power button on the top doesn't bother me much, but anytime I go from using an iPhone for awhile to another phone I always find myself going for a non-existent home button. lol

Okay I'll have to check out the new sense. And lol I think we all have phantom home button syndrome after leaving iPhone.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Im fine with a 8mp camera myself and i want a micro SD slot which it hasnt had. Hoping one of them gets one this time around but it hasnt been one of the features. If not i wont get one unless it comes with at least 32 GB of memory.

If the 8mp was the same as the GS3 then I wouldn't have a problem, but all these things adding up just doesn't attract me :( I will admit I got caught up in the hype.

but I really think my next phone will be the Note 2, unless something better comes out first.

You just have to see the note2 in person, it is very very nice, it is big but for some reason it doesn't feel big. The ergonomics on the phone are great, probably what makes it feel smaller tbh. Fits in pockets just fine, front pockets (not baggy trousers) including other crap in my pockets.

This might be my next phone.

Only 2 downsides for me personally.

1. Cortex a15 is just round the corner!

2. Head phone jack up top is a pain cause I always put my phone 'head-first' in my pocket. Now i'll have to switch...

Edit: there are loads of pros by the way, I was just being picky and if the two points above didn't exist, this would defo be the phone for me by miles

After playing around with the note2 I do think it is the phone of 2012. Oh and also had a look the iphone5, very nice too (very light!) but not for me I dont think.

Last edited:

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
My big concern is that there are very few flagship phones (that I know of) coming to Verizon. This is true not only for Android, but also Windows Phone 8. I am tied to Verizon as my entire family (immediate and extended) is on the network. It looks like the best thta I am going to be able to do is the SGS3.

Does anyone know of anything worth waiting for coming out on Verizon?

GL

Edit: after taking a closer look at the galaxy note 2, I am starting to think that this will be my next phone. Size shouldn't be a problem as I am 6'5" and have huge hands. Looking forward to the announcement at the end of the month.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My big concern is that there are very few flagship phones (that I know of) coming to Verizon. This is true not only for Android, but also Windows Phone 8. I am tied to Verizon as my entire family (immediate and extended) is on the network. It looks like the best thta I am going to be able to do is the SGS3.

Does anyone know of anything worth waiting for coming out on Verizon?

GL

Edit: after taking a closer look at the galaxy note 2, I am starting to think that this will be my next phone. Size shouldn't be a problem as I am 6'5" and have huge hands. Looking forward to the announcement at the end of the month.

Verizon is too expensive and it isnt a GSM network so i will never go with them.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Verizon is too expensive and it isnt a GSM network so i will never go with them.

T-mobile and sprint terrible here...and AT&T and Verizon are basically the same price for the plan my family needs. Verizon has far fewer dropped calls in Orlando and their LTE network is much better here. So, for now, Verizon is the best choice for my situation.

GL

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Apparently a 4" Galaxy S3 is coming out tomorrow in Germany.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/10/3482218/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-4-inch-jk-shin

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I'm keeping my eyes open for a landscape keyboard slider phone that I can use on Bell. I'm beginning to really hate touch screen keyboards. I know T-Mobile has the keyboard slider version of the SGS3. LG is supposed to be coming out with one, too.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Very clear photos of the LG Nexus. Several more at the link. It is really starting to grow on me.

1bf2f959a96fa2fa8846b31409dbe959_1349949799.jpg

http://tech.onliner.by/2012/10/11/lg-google-nexus-3/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.