New (annoying) calendar behavior?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by trouble747, Aug 17, 2011.

1. trouble747 macrumors 6502

There are many things I don't understand about OS X's iCal program (and the inexplicable ways the iPhone app differs), but this one seems new to me.

If I add a new event to my calendar on my iPhone, the app uses as a default a one hour event starting at 7 PM and ending at 8 PM (why, I have no idea), until I change it. But if I change the start to 9 PM, for example, then end changes to 10 PM. Good enough.

But I've noticed in OS X (and let me know if this was always the case), the program always assumes I'm adding an all day event (this is from month view). Fine. So I uncheck the all-day box. Unlike on the iPhone, the default is an event starting at 10 AM and ending at 6 PM. Who knows why, but OK. But this quickly proves irritating, because if I change the start time to, say, 8 PM (dinner reservations), then end time automatically advances EIGHT hours, into the next day. Then I have to change the date of the ending point, then the time.

What's up with this? I'll add in my usual complaint, which is that multi-day events with specific starting and ending times appear on the iPhone calendar on each day (which makes sense), but only appear on the first day of the event in OS X. You have to select "all-day" to have it appear on each day.

Am I missing something, here?

2. JGrifter macrumors newbie

Seriously, this drives me crazy too! So badly designed! Is there no way of changing the defaults?

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't have that behavior with iCal 4.0.4 under OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, it defaults to what appears to be the nearest hour (it's currently 4:37 and it defaults to 5:00) and a one hour increment.

4. JGrifter macrumors newbie

5. BraveArts, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

BraveArts macrumors member

BraveArts

I'm having the same trouble with Calendar in MacOS 10.8.2
    It drives me scatty.
    Come on Apple, what gives??? Any official response on this please?
    Go on, I know you're reading ;-)

Update:
    Wait a minute… I've discovered that it only makes an automatic "all day" even when you are viewing in "Month" mode. If you view in "Day" or "Week" mode a new event is automatically an hour.
    As I always have my calendar in "Month" mode this is still a bit of a pisser. Could it be made an "OPTION" in preferences please Apple? Thank you :)