New Antennas on the water tower

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bruinsrme, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Abou 2 years ago our town voted on an antenna installation on the water tower because of a potential health hazard.
    About 2 weeks ago they started the install. its not the best picture but someone in the industry would most likely be able to id the new antennas

Attached Files:

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm confused... They voted FOR the antennas because of a health hazard??

What is the question?

3. The General macrumors 601

4. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

what's the purpose of these antennas?
    cell, data, or other

5. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

i have always gotten full ATT bars for the past 8 years.
    ATT and sprint rent space on the tower

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

Cell and data are generally the same thing. Now explain the health hazard issue.

7. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

due to the frequency and transmission power there is a risk of cancer and other health hazards

8. emt1 macrumors 65816

Are these concerns based on the proximity of the antenna to residents or the proximity to drinking water?

9. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

proximity of people.
    The water tower is no longer in service

10. TehBest macrumors member

I dont really get this thread and the whole health hazard thing. There are antennas above businesses and houses here in Sacramento...no cancer here. Those look like cell receptors.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

I understand that might what have been said, but I'm gonna throw the BS flag on that claim. I know it's probably not yours, but that's the goofiest thing I've ever heard. TV transmiters are a lot stranger and I have never seen any correlation between cancer and proximity to the towers.

12. mathnerd macrumors newbie

Depending on where you are it could be WiMax. I am currently working on a project in MO designing backhaul for a new WiMax network. I cant ID the antennas in the photo posted but there are WiMax deployments going on in numerous markets. Did any new dish antennas get installed?

13. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

yes the leftarrrow is pointing towards the new dish. havent been to look on the other side. the pict is taken from my front yard

14. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am voted for the install.
    the hazards was what was listed on the petition not my opinion or position
    I just want to know what they are and what servicesthey may provide.

There is nothing more I want to do in my life than call charter and have them pick up their crap equipment and tell them to get their wire off my house. just a little sarcasm there

15. mathnerd macrumors newbie

Hard to tell from the photo but since there is a new microwave dish along with the install it is most likely a new provider. By the look of the antennas they appear to be 42" 2.4 GHz which would be WiMax.

16. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

We have a huge cell tower (T-Mobile) on our high school campus. It's pretty badly disguised as a huge tree. Weeee'ree tolldldld ittttt won'tttt afffeccct ussssssusss.

:D

17. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

it wouldn't affect you relative to the other thigs high schooler do their bodies and brains. :D

18. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Do you work for Nortel, Qualcomm, or ALU?

Just kidding, you don't have to answer that. Anyway, just a quick question from a noob to the telecom industry (I'm interning for one of the 3 companies I mentioned above). Why does a dish antenna necessarily point to that being a WiMax installation? I thought even current cellular technologies use point-to-point microwave for intra-tower communications (although I suppose microwave antennas don't really look like dishes, more like thick cookies or something :D).

19. mathnerd macrumors newbie

The new dish only points to the tower likely being brought in on a new network. You could determine which provider and service by running a license search on the coordinates of the tower on the FCC site and looking for the most recent license issuance and corresponding frequencies. I don't work for any of the mentioned companies, I am actually a contractor brought in to do the microwave backhaul design for 360 new WiMax sites.
    A microwave dish can actually look like either a dish, if it is a standard performance antenna, or a thick cookie if it is high performance. Most likely the new dish being installed is on an unlicensed band, most likely 5.4 or 5.8 GHz, since it is of the standard performance variety.

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The only carrier using WiMax in the U.S. is Sprint.
    That is their 4G solution.
    I do believe all the other carriers are going with LTE.

21. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

And sprint is on that tower.

22. mathnerd macrumors newbie

Sprint is not doing WiMax, XOhm was Sprints WiMax project and it died. ClearWire is currently doing WiMax buildout independent of Sprints network. As a matter of fact ClearWire will be selling Sprint some backhaul capacity on the new network. The only voice that will be on WiMax will be VOIP as WiMax is strictly IP. So depending on where the OP is located, it is very possible that he is seeing a ClearWire build.

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I think you may want to read this...
    http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/sprint-deploys-wimax-in-baltimore-tues-20080929/

The XOHM project didn't die, it got reformed into a new company to reduce Sprints exposure.

24. mathnerd macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll clarify.
    Sprint is no longer directly involved in building WiMax. The recent transaction between Sprint and Clearwire gives Clearwire the existing XOhm network and spectrum licenses and gives Sprint a 51% stake in Clearwire.
    Through this year existing customers of XOhm and Clearwire will be transitioned to the new company, Clear.