New Apogee drivers resolve kernel panic issue!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Virtuoso, May 22, 2008.

1. Virtuoso macrumors regular

Check out the Readme for more information and grab the file DuetUpdateMay08.dmg from this directory. (Main website hasn't yet been updated).

From the readme...
    So it looks like Apple finally fixed it and Apogee have the all-important driver ahead of 10.5.3. Happy days. :cool:

2. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

Finally I was having complete crashes when doing things lik changing the sample rate from 44.1k to 48

Thanks for posting this

3. fernmeister macrumors regular

Well so far so good. Each round of Apple updates, especially the Mac Pro firmware update, had made the Duet more stable. But, switching users regularly yielded a KP, as did "too many" sample rate changes and the Duet never seem to play nice with the iCamera.

Everything seems far more solid now and today I've done everything that would yield a KP or weird behaviour several times already with no nasties.

It says it all that the update included BOTH an Apogee driver AND an Apple Firewire Audio driver!

4. polypus macrumors newbie

polypus

5. Mister248 macrumors newbie

Nice!

That /downloads/drivers directory is useful. I have a problem that might addressed with something there, but I'm not sure. I got a X-Firewire card that I put in my Mini-DAC. The problem is that the card came with no CD, and the instructions refer to a CD with an installer ("ApogeeSoftware"). I think this installer has the effect of enhancing the Apple Midi Controller utility, and also the Audio preferences in Logic. It seems to be a prerequisite. I've contacted Apogee, but perhaps someone here knows where that installer can be downloaded. Sorry for the tangential post here. I'd appreciate any help.

6. wafl iron macrumors regular

just installed it and it solved the kernel panic when i plug in the duet.

Apparently the kernel panic was being caused when you have > 2GB of ram installed. this makes sense because i first noticed the kernel panic after i installed 4 gigs of ram for a total of 6gb

7. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I downloaded and installed the first part of the Apogee Update, but the second part (Firewire/Leopard) would not install, saying that it can't be installed on 10.5.3.

Am I missing out on something here? Should the Apogee Firewire Update have been installed on 10.5.2 prior to installing the 10.5.3 Update? Or is everything now fine, with 10.5.3 making the Apogee Firewire Update unnecessary?

Am I fully up-to-date with all the improvements by installing only the first part of the Apogee Update, in conjunction with 10.5.3?

Hope I've made my question clear, but I find this confusing. Any clarification appreciated.

8. fernmeister macrumors regular

it could be that the firewire driver that came with the update is now included with 10.5.3? Best bet might be to email apogee.

9. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

The message one gets when trying to install the Firewire/Leopard update on 10.5.3 is that it CANNOT be installed on 10.5.3.

From that, no-one is any the wiser as to whether the update is already up and running on 10.5.3, or if it is unable to work with 10.5.3.

10. fernmeister macrumors regular

11. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Nothing. I assume they're having a nice relaxing weekend. Maybe they'll provide an answer Monday.

12. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Update: Speaking to Apogee today, I can confirm that the Firewire part of their update is already built in to the new 10.5.3.