New Apollo Lake Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dogslobber, Dec 17, 2016.

1. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

2. Kaida macrumors regular

Kaida

I don't get it, how could a Celeron machine be worth the wait? Or were you being sarcastic?

3. sublunar macrumors 6502a

The main page thread suggests the desktop team went and helped out with a plan B Macbook Pro that's currently being panned for battery life. The consequence was that their own projects got delayed or have also had to be cut back.

It also suggests there will be little or no physical change to the iMac which will get USB-C ports but no mention of Kaby Lake CPU or what AMD GPU they were intending to use. I have taken this to be a leak from Apple trying to manage expectations for the forthcoming desktop refreshes.

There's little mention of the Mac Pro - just than a suggestion that they'd like to move assembly out to the far east that suggests they are after cheaper retail prices because they may recognise that Mac Pros will be harder to shift in Europe due to the exchange rate if they are expensive to assemble as US products.

My view is if they are reducing the cost to build to perhaps reduce the entry level price they could also create something at a price point that more 'pro' mini buyers could get enthused about. After all, they do nickname it the Mac pro Mini... :rolleyes:

Finally, there's no word on the Mac mini at all but it stands to reason that a conservative thing to do would be to carry on with base level Macbook Pro 13" innards and USB-C ports and bump the innards to match.