New app called "Television" looks like a joke

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by sseelman, Dec 17, 2008.

1. sseelman macrumors regular

Before you download this app, please carefully read their disclaimer in the App Store. I will admit that they are honest about hat it does. That is a good thing.

Instead of the makers of the app actually streaming any video themselves, they basically have developed a program guide to some apparently iPhone-friendly web sites that actually hold video. So, you are basically paying $3.99 to link to other sites that are already available. Wow - what a deal. I would have been fine if they would have offered this for free, but it is a joke to offer this for $3.99.

Link to app: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=299871806&mt=8

2. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

I am sure they hope that a lot of people "accidently" download this app without reading the entire description.

3. sseelman thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like they have already lowered the price from $3.99 to $2.99. If they keep going another $2.99 - it will be just about right. :cool:

4. euanmackie macrumors member

Surely your paying for the service? just like the magazines like TV times. its quite useful lil app that i really like using!!

5. Lara F macrumors 6502a

You forgot to mention wifi only. Ugh.
    At this rate I'm getting real close to breaking down and getting a tv tuner for Orb.

6. sseelman thread starter macrumors regular

You know, it is interesting that you brought up wi-fi. In this app's description they say that Apple will not allow it over 3G/EDGE. I wonder if they are stating a fact that they got directly from Apple or just assuming? The non-wi-fi thing is not urrently a huge issue for me. I like to watch a show in bed before going to sleep (yes, I have a 42 inch flat screen in there and I prefer watching this little thing. Call me weird.). But, I agree that 3G (at least) delivery of streaming video for tv/movies is critical to any long-term success.

I am still waiting patiently (liar) for the i.TV update to get released - hopefully this week. If it has good video streaming, then my wants will be at least temporarily satisfied. :)

My other saving grace is that Joost has started to work for me. Go figure. Could not get a single video to play early on with it. Yes, I rebooted and all that. Now, I can play the old TV shows that I like (e.g. Perry Mason). I even watched the latest CSI the other day. Not a great app yet, but better than nothing.

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

One of Apple's few written rules about the App Store, no app can use excessive bandwidth over the cell network.