New app Cardswitcher - WebOS-like multi-tasking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Peterg2, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone here tried Cardswitcher which is apparently a new release as Proswitcher does not work with ios 4.x? Here is a bit about it:

http://cydiahelp.com/cardswitcher-iphone-jailbreak-only/

Doing a search on it shows it is a little buggy but another release has been issued. I suppose I can simply try it but was wondering if anybody here has any feedback on it.

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I have it and yes it is a bit 'off', not so much buggy. For one, it doesn't actualy close the app or apps. It's more of a gimmick than anything and it doesn't actually enable any real multitasking like WebOS does.

3. Peterg2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply and that clears it up for me :)

4. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

It looks cool, I am hoping it works on the iPad soon.

5. rainmanbk macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

I absolutely love this concept, yet I'd hate to give up all the functionality of the Multitasking bar built into iOS. Could we have a page 0 with rotation, pause, play, next, back, and music player support? How about transparent cards for recently used apps, or maybe a grid after the last running app?

I'd guess the tweak might grow too large if all of that was implemented though...

6. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

It's been very buggy for me. When launching it and trying to "close" and app, springboard crashes often. Probably more than 1/2 the time I try to do this. I'm ready to uninstall it. I like the switching aspect but if it's going to crash all the time then its not going to be worth it. I've been using it for a couple of days now.

Edit - I just fired up Cydia and see there's an update for it already that is supposed to address the crashing. I'll post another update after I've updated and played with it more.

7. Peterg2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the update. Can I assume that you applied the update that came out yesterday? At the moment I fancy I will not bother as I have a clean setup without any problems at all with no crashes and this would really irritate me.

8. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I'm not sure when the update came out. I don't go onto Cydia that often unless there is something new I'm looking to download. I've had pretty good luck with not having apps that crash the iPhone.

This one only crashed when I was "killing" the apps when cardswitcher was running, either by hitting the X or flicking the app up. I've played with it for a few minutes and it seems to be more stable.

9. rocknrolldoggy macrumors member

10. Peterg2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies so far. I bought and installed this app and it seemingly is working fine. I have loaded a few apps several times and closed them individually and no problems (so far...)

11. Peterg2, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

Peterg2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is a bit more feedback regarding the app. It generally works quite well but a few irritants:

1. You have a choice of background for the cards, namely either black or your wallpaper. I have it set to my wallpaper but randomly when using the app it forgets that you have it set to wallpaper and goes to a black background.

2. Sometimes the app fails to capture the image of an app and the card will be a white space.

3. The "X"s to close the app sometimes do not work. I ended up just using the upward swipe to close the app.

The app looks very nice and all but it is, for my purposes, too buggy and I am uninstalling it and trying it again when it has matured a bit.

12. jeffsf macrumors newbie

What's the point?

Really, what's the point of this? What does it do that the built in switcher doesn't? Does it add functionality, or is it just a pretty alternative?