New App for All the Golfers out there

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jfyeh, Jul 29, 2008.

1. jfyeh macrumors newbie

Hello All,

We are creating an application for golfers that tells you the yardage from your current location to your hole location. Essentially a range finder, but much cheaper!!

Currently there are over 4000 golf courses our database and we are still growing.

Check to see if your course is in our database.

www.golfmapz.com

We are looking to release in the next few weeks.

Keep an eye out on the site.

-John

2. emr25 macrumors member

This sounds like a great app! I play most of my rounds at Crosswinds Golf Club in Savannah, GA, and I was very excited to see it on your list. I do have a few questions though.

How accurate will the yardages be? (in comparison to an expensive RangeFinder, etc.)

Will a network connection be needed to use the app? (just EDGE, 3G, obviously Location Services will need to be on)

Will it be possible to:
    A) Download a Free trial version to see how well it works at my home course?
    OR
    B) Purchase the app, test it out for awhile at my home course, and if I am not satisfied (not that I don't expect to be from what I have seen) receive a refund?

Thanks.

3. jfyeh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

We will not have a trial version. We want user's to have full access to all the courses and all the holes.

The accuracy will be +/- 10 yards, partially due to the accuracy of the GPS on the phone and the fact that the hole location changes constantly on courses.

I don't think Apple allows refunds.

If you are unsure I would wait for reviews to come out and see what people are saying.

However I'm positive this is nothing you have seen before and will be thoroughly impressed.

-John

4. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Very cool app idea. I'm not a golfer, but I'm glad to see such innovative use of the GPS.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Looks great, the courses I play are there as well. Question, does it have scorecard capability as well? Would be a hassle to have to use 1 app for range finder and another for keeping score.

Also, can it tell me distance from tee, not just distance to green? So I can get an idea of how long my drive was, etc? I think that would be a nice feature.

6. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Subtract total hole yardage from distance to green yardage. That is your distance from tee. Simple math.

7. Stocktrader macrumors member

What pricing are you looking at?

I'd be curious to see the battery life and if the iPhone can handle a 6-hour round.

Best of luck,

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

That's too much thought for lazy people :p

9. rvancil macrumors member

I'm in for it...Lots of CA courses...especially where I play in LA/OC counties! Sweet...How much is this going to cost?

10. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I love the look so far!

Now I just wish I could get some new clubs!

11. jfyeh thread starter macrumors newbie

We are shooting for a 9.99 price point

Our first release will not have score keeping abilities but the very next release will. We wanted to put scorekeeping in this version but had to fix some bugs in this release.

Drive distance, and iron distance will eventually be put in as well.

We're looking to launch in the next week or so.

Request your courses now!!

12. rvancil macrumors member

Sounds like exactly what I've been waiting for! Score keeping will be a must! Will the updates be free once the application is initially paid for?

13. ajnvt macrumors newbie

Perfect! This is the application I've been waiting for.. The golf apps in the store so far have been disappointing. I just submitted 2 of my home courses, hopefully they make it in to the initial release so that I can buy this thing. Well done.

14. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

+\- 10 yards? That's a huge margin of error! You say that it depends on pin position, but we already know that pin position is important when determining distance. What is the margin of error in yards for the middle of the green? If it's +\- 10 to everywhere, then it will be useless to me. Also, will it give distance to front, middle, back?

15. btcutter macrumors 6502

I hope you application will allow one to download the score card /map of the course before hand or even better...enter player info before hand and save on the phone for later use. This way it'll solely concentrate on using the GPS application during the round and minimize the data transfer during the round to help preserve battery life.

16. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Pretty sure that's how every golf GPS system works. Yardage is determined to the center of the green, but courses can change pin position daily. If it's a big green, you can easily have a 10 yard difference. It's not the app's fault if the course changes pin position. Unless the course owners upload updated pin positioning every morning there's no way of keeping the app 100% accurate.

17. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'd like to know what the margin of error is in the actual location. Based on that yardages could be given to front/center/back of the green or other physical features (bunkers, etc.).

18. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I'd also like to know this. Will there be a front/center/back of green measurement? How accurate will these be? What about bunkers, water, etc.? I'm sure i'll be picking this app up either way, but i'd love for it to be on par with the high end handhelds out there.

19. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

That's what I meant. +/- 10 yards could mean big trouble for tucked pin locations. I'm currently using a laser range finder and gives me +/- 1 yard margin for up to a 2000 yard distance. I believe skycaddie advertises there accuracy at 1-3 yards from up to 1000 yards. When you talk about accuracy in regards to golf gps units, you don't take into account the pin position. That's the golfers responsibility to figure out. If this app is anything close to the skycaddie, I'll pick this up in a heartbeat.

20. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Any new info on this app?? I'm looking forward to trying it out.

21. jfyeh thread starter macrumors newbie

All the data is very time consuming to collect especially for all the courses.

We ultimately want to have all that data available but not at the moment.

Price point will likely be 9.99

Release may be as early as this Friday.

22. Stocktrader macrumors member

Best of luck.
    At 9.99, I'll wait for the reviews. At 4.99, I buy on the spot.

23. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

If it's anything close to a skycaddie, I'd pay 29.99. If it is a subscription based Id'd pay 9.99 plus 5 per month. I have no problem paying for quality.

24. Rdrnatn24 macrumors newbie

Definitely interested in this one... I couldn't believe the small nine holer by my house was on the list

25. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Looks like all the courses on Kiawah are on the list :D