New app: Photo Geolocation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kylekai, Jan 7, 2015.

1. kylekai macrumors member

Photo Geolocation scans a folder you choose for photos that contain geolocation data and displays the photos as well as their location on a map. You can even specify a specific location on the map for searching purposes.

Every wonder where you took a picture? Now you can easily scan your geotagged photos and find the location. Suppose you take a lot of photos with your iPhone or other camera that geotags the photos. You know you should, but you don’t bother giving the photos names or put them in a nicely labeled album. Instead you just feed them into iPhoto or some other folder. Eventually you end up with a lot of unnamed photos, over 10,000. Now someone says “let me see the photos of your Yellowstone trips.” You could search all 10,000 photos, somehow flagging the photos you think are from Yellowstone, but that might take some time. Instead you use Photo Geolocation, set the filter map to Yellowstone, and within seconds all your photos of Yellowstone appear!

Or use it to simply browse your photos!

More info: Photo Geoocation

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Ah, a useful little application for seeing some of your photos.

I like that it will flatten folders (i.e. look into subfolders). You can then see thumbnails of the photos, where they are on the map, and send info about the pin/photo to Apple Maps where, for instance, you can use it as a destination.

What I wish it had was a "show in Finder" feature, so that I could go to the photo itself. And a contextual menu item so that when you are at a photo in the Finder you could use a right or control click to "open in Photo Geolocation" so it shows up on the map.

What it doesn't do is show geolocation info for RAW files, or those using XMP sidecars. That would be nice, but probably a major headache to do. But it seems to only show geolocation info for jpgs, and not other RAW formats even if those RAW formats DO include geolocation info (some do).

Also, it seems you have to exit to open a new folder of photos. Rather a bother. But it seems to be able to process a lot of stuff quickly, so maybe the best bet is to add the whole Pictures folder and then filter.

It also does not ADD the geolocation info to photos that don't have that info. Use HoudahGeo or Lightroom or something to do that.

The developer is very quick with updates and addressing suggestions, so I'm hoping it will get better. But a good start, especially for folks like me that wanna be able to show photos by location quickly. I could see this becoming something very special.

3. kylekai thread starter macrumors member

Great comments!

To show a photo in the finder, double click on any of the containing folders shown on the photo path at the bottom of the window -- see below.

To open a new folder of photos, select Filter from the File menu, or click the Filter button on the toolbar.

I was unaware that some RAW photos have geolocation info. I'll see if I can find one or some for testing, or maybe someone can send me some samples?

I'm currently working on a photo geotagging app.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming! Seems like I need to update the app's help a bit. ;)

[​IMG]

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Thanks, but when you've got hundreds of photos in a folder just opening the folder isn't sufficient. Clicking the photo itself to open it isn't always what you want either.

I didn't see the "change..." button; thanks!

5. kylekai thread starter macrumors member

If just opening the folder isn't sufficient, what is sufficient?

In version 1.1, due out in about a week, double-clicking on a path component at the bottom of the window will reveal the file or folder as opposed to the current action of opening the file or folder. V1.1 will also display RAW images as well as JPEG images.

Thanks for the feedback.