Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macphun Team

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
San Diego
Hey friends. We have just launched our new photo app - Snapselect.
Here's the App Store link.

I have 5 promo codes available, as all other are already gone to reviewers and tech media. Here's a cool video that explains what the app is about. Let me know if you are into photography and what do you usually shoot and I will pick 5 people within the next 48 hours and send the codes for the app.

Thanks, the app is really good and solves many problems, common to both pro and amateur photographers.

Take care
Alex

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

I have 5 promo codes available, as all other are already gone to reviewers and tech media. Here's a cool video that explains what the app is about. Let me know if you are into photography and what do you usually shoot and I will pick 5 people within the next 48 hours and send the codes for the app.

Thanks, the app is really good and solves many problems, common to both pro and amateur photographers.

Take care
Alex

Wonderful app I just watched the vid. I'm a Amateur lol, but I like urban, beach and Landscape photography.

Michael.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I looked at it, but I'm wondering if it will be useful for a Lightroom and/or Aperture user.

I see that you can import from either, but what happens after you've done selections or deletions in Snapselect? It seems you'd have to reimport and/or synchronize in Aperture/LR to get those changes into those programs, and it doesn't appear that the picks get written to metadata.

I could see it being useful for an Aperture or LR user if you wanted to do a bunch of culls before importing into those programs. And I like the interface, especially the groupings. I'd like it to work, as I have the other MacPhun Pro products and love them, but I don't see that this could improve my workflow much. I do use photo browsers at times without going into Aperture or Lightroom but any info or work I do on the photos needs to be available very easily for those programs.

Be interested to see if others like me can make it work.

Oh, and BTW, is it retina aware? I.e. do photos at actual size show 1:1 on a retina screen?

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012

I think it'll be useful for LR users like myself. I shoot wildlife and architecture and most certainly am bogged down by having tons of images to sift through, going back and forth before finding one to start working on.

Was wondering what Apple has to offer since Aperture 3 hasn't really seen any large updates for ages. Thought the Yosemite photos app might help. Instead I've ventured into using additional apps that offer abilities that go beyond (or improve on) what LR has built in. I think that's the best way to go.

... then again, this is creating competition for companies like Adobe to actually innovate. Starting from LR2 and now LR5, there hasn't really been all that many "innovative" features, they've just added abilities that you'd expect to have in the first place.

I looked at it, but I'm wondering if it will be useful for a Lightroom and/or Aperture user. I'd like it to work, as I have the other MacPhun Pro products and love them, but I don't see that this could improve my workflow much.

I too have used other MacPhun products, most recently, Intensify Pro.

Nothing really has ventured this close with this new app.

I've used the time based mode in Aperture in which you can "stack" images taken within say 3 seconds of each other but, that tends to leave a mess including some from different angles or completely different shots. If you specify a shorter time say 1 second, then some images might not be grouped.

Since moving to Lightroom, there hasn't been an easy way and I just end up going through them manually. For my macro shots, around 70% of them on a given shoot tend to be rejected in LR. On top each shoot consumes several dozen gigs. "I'll eventually get around to trashing them"... is the argument I hold and by eventually I mean when all of my WD 4TB drives get full. :)

I guess it depends on if you want to get past the administrative tasks of sifting through your images and move onto working on them faster or do it the manual way.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hobbyist, shoot for myself, and mostly nature. My hands are too shaky to go pro. :p I am SUPER bad about taking too many shots, hahaha.

This was me admiring the pretty pink hue outside the other evening...

IMG_0079.PNG

BTW... When you delete your photos, does it move them to the trash, or does it actually delete them?

Macphun Team

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
San Diego
I think it'll be useful for LR users like myself. I shoot wildlife and architecture and most certainly am bogged down by having tons of images to sift through, going back and forth before finding one to start working on.

Was wondering what Apple has to offer since Aperture 3 hasn't really seen any large updates for ages. Thought the Yosemite photos app might help. Instead I've ventured into using additional apps that offer abilities that go beyond (or improve on) what LR has built in. I think that's the best way to go.

... then again, this is creating competition for companies like Adobe to actually innovate. Starting from LR2 and now LR5, there hasn't really been all that many "innovative" features, they've just added abilities that you'd expect to have in the first place.

I too have used other MacPhun products, most recently, Intensify Pro.

Nothing really has ventured this close with this new app.

I've used the time based mode in Aperture in which you can "stack" images taken within say 3 seconds of each other but, that tends to leave a mess including some from different angles or completely different shots. If you specify a shorter time say 1 second, then some images might not be grouped.

Since moving to Lightroom, there hasn't been an easy way and I just end up going through them manually. For my macro shots, around 70% of them on a given shoot tend to be rejected in LR. On top each shoot consumes several dozen gigs. "I'll eventually get around to trashing them"... is the argument I hold and by eventually I mean when all of my WD 4TB drives get full. :)

I guess it depends on if you want to get past the administrative tasks of sifting through your images and move onto working on them faster or do it the manual way.

We have a product training today. And next weeks as well. Those will answer a lot of questions. The app can be used with any folder, LR, Aperture, etc. It was made to complete your experience. Here are some of the use cases:

- You have lots of pics in the camera from an event and you use Snapselect to filter best from the camera and then import to LR, Aperture or any folder.
- You have a lot of picks in your catalogues form different places and events and you want to clean up the library. Snapselect will group images by similarities and have a different view for images grouped by time, so you can get rid of bad photos and keep the good ones.
- You are shooting something and don't have and EyeFi card or any other possibility to export straigt from the camera. Connect your camera to Snapselect, pick the right image and share it socially.

Just view use cases:)
But there are way more.

Alex

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I don't see an automatic as opposed to manual way of culling them.

I got a riMac, and it makes the process a lot faster, since you can see fine detail with more pictures in the grid.

As far as I can tell with Snapselect the only difference vs LR is that it can group by time, or perhaps by actually looking at the subject? Again, I like that interface and it could help me do a rough culling before import, but wouldn't save me that much time I expect. In addition I do bracketing for HDR conversion, and so I have a lot of what look like duplicates, but aren't. I usually stack those by time, but not always, since sometimes I just prefer one and don't mess with the HDR.

OTOH, sometimes I'm looking for a photo for use say in a forum and don't wanna use LR for finding it when I know where it is already. If this could work as a browser/Finder substitute in that situation, it might work for me. Or like the situation Alex mentioned, where I want to quickly select images off a card to send to someone. I await some reviews; too bad there's no demo.

Macphun Team

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
San Diego
I don't see an automatic as opposed to manual way of culling them.

I got a riMac, and it makes the process a lot faster, since you can see fine detail with more pictures in the grid.

As far as I can tell with Snapselect the only difference vs LR is that it can group by time, or perhaps by actually looking at the subject? Again, I like that interface and it could help me do a rough culling before import, but wouldn't save me that much time I expect. In addition I do bracketing for HDR conversion, and so I have a lot of what look like duplicates, but aren't. I usually stack those by time, but not always, since sometimes I just prefer one and don't mess with the HDR.

OTOH, sometimes I'm looking for a photo for use say in a forum and don't wanna use LR for finding it when I know where it is already. If this could work as a browser/Finder substitute in that situation, it might work for me. I await some reviews; too bad there's no demo.

It is not time sorting only. It has a separate view, that groups by similar objects, faces, colors, etc. Plus you can customize the precision of that. Imagine dozens of different photos from the ocean beach, shot at a different time and day - those will go to one group.

tuthill

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2010

Take care
Alex

I bought it and find that I prefer other software such as Photo Mechanic (much more expensive of course). If I had been able to trial this app I wouldn't have purchased it.

The introductory price is fair so I'm not crying any tears over spending $15. BTW, I do like some of your other apps; Intensify Pro, FX Studio Pro and Snapheal Pro.

Macphun Team

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
San Diego
I bought it and find that I prefer other software such as Photo Mechanic (much more expensive of course). If I had been able to trial this app I wouldn't have purchased it.

The introductory price is fair so I'm not crying any tears over spending $15. BTW, I do like some of your other apps; Intensify Pro, FX Studio Pro and Snapheal Pro.

Wonder what the app is missing?
We have a quick performance update coming soon and then more updates with new features shortly. So email me at alex@macphun.com and share your thoughts - would love to have you switched from other software.

----------

----------

Hobbyist, shoot for myself, and mostly nature. My hands are too shaky to go pro. :p I am SUPER bad about taking too many shots, hahaha.

This was me admiring the pretty pink hue outside the other evening...

BTW... When you delete your photos, does it move them to the trash, or does it actually delete them?

When you delete images, it will move them to Trash on your Mac, and then you delete them completely. The images you shared are perfect use case for Snapselect by the way.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
When you delete images, it will move them to Trash on your Mac, and then you delete them completely. The images you shared are perfect use case for Snapselect by the way.

Good, good, was just checking! I know lots of apps that will completely wipe stuff if you're not careful! :eek:

Yeah, I should probably delete them considering I did end up narrowing them down after putting them on the iPad. :cool:

PBGPowerbook

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004

I have been looking for an app like this! I have used Preview + Finder tags/labels for years (I use PS for editing) I have looked at C1 and PhotoMechanic but they seem like overkill. I just want a quick way to mark favorites, throw away missed shots, compare consecutive frames. This looks like it hits the spot, and I'd love a promo code!

I mostly shoot people, food, etc. Formerly a photojournalist covering politics.

Macphun Team

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
San Diego
Hey all above this post. Email me to get the app.

Hey all, terribly sorry for the delay with the reply.
The launch of version 1.0 was pretty controversial - we found some bugs - and were busy fixing that. Nevertheless, Snapselect is still among TOP photo apps and things are getting better. The new version with fixes and dramatic performance improvements has been submitted and is pending Apple approval.

So, thanks for waiting.
I'd like to ask everyone above this post to email me at alex@macphun.com and I will share a copy of the software. If you like it, I will greatly appreciate a feedback/review in this forum and through your social media.

Hear you soon
Alex

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Have to say I'm REALLY impressed with the fact that I used a folder this afternoon with a video sequence made up of 45,000+ images, and Snapselect gladly handled all 40GB worth of it like it was nothing - Took 3 hours to analyze it, and gosh was I blown away that my 2011 is still powerful enough (yet it's on its last legs) to deal with it. Like holy **** did you guys build this app to be robust.

GREAT program. Have been using it a lot with my photos.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I'm liking it a lot too; the more I use it the more I love being able to separate little groups of photos by time. Sort of like mini-events. It's so much nicer to use IMHO than dealing with stacks in Lightroom or Aperture for picking and culling, especially if you use a lot of bracketed shots.

My number one feature request is a way to select by twos, threes, fives, etc. and be able to compare them. Lr has a compare view, but using the keyboard you can only move from picture to picture in one frame, not two-by-two. PhotoSweeper (another nice application) has a face-to-face feature that allows you to arrow key from pair to pair; really handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.