Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob-a-fett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Download: [app]Volumatic[/app]
### INTRODUCTORY FREE PRICE ###

Do you want to listen to your iPod but can't because you need to hear what's going on in your office? Do find yourself constantly adjusting the volume when you're in your car, walking about, or just out for a morning jog?

Well you'll never have to touch that volume button again… with Volumatic! Volumatic automatically adjusts the volume in your headphones by constantly measuring noise from your microphone. It supports two main modes:

AUTOMATIC VOLUME CONTROL: Automaticaly raise and lower player volume relative to the background noise level.
OFFICE MODE: Instantly mute playback volume when a loud noise is heard with Office Mode.

Never again will you have to worry about missing that important call because you didn't hear your phone ringing because your music was playing too loud. Enjoy listening to your favorite Audiobook, Podcast, or musical playlist as you go about your daily activities while the volume adapts to the sounds around you!

With fully customizable settings, you can fine-tune your listening experience for volume control sensitivity, office mode sensitivity, and trigger time when office mode triggers your audio to mute. These two modes can be used separately or together according to your listening needs.

*** IF YOU GUYS HAVE COMMENTS: I am listening!! Please post here if you have feedback or wishes for the next update which I am already working on!! ***

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Not bad. I like it. I would recommend setting values in seconds for the trigger time. Also, I would recommend not having to create a playlist. Sometimes, I just want to start on a different song and I can't seem to do that without creating a playlist first.

The app seemed confusing at first, unless it's a glitch...but I have to have both "automatic volume control" and "office mode" turned on simultaneously in order for it to work. At first I thought the app was broken because I only had ""automatic volume control" turned on with "office mode" turned off, and it wouldn't work or make the adjustment.

Otherwise, this is a great app and can definitely see some people needing this. And the free price point is a great start to your success...if even only for a few days ;)

bob-a-fett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Not bad. I like it. I would recommend setting values in seconds for the trigger time. Also, I would recommend not having to create a playlist. Sometimes, I just want to start on a different song and I can't seem to do that without creating a playlist first.

The app seemed confusing at first, unless it's a glitch...but I have to have both "automatic volume control" and "office mode" turned on simultaneously in order for it to work. At first I thought the app was broken because I only had ""automatic volume control" turned on with "office mode" turned off, and it wouldn't work or make the adjustment.

Otherwise, this is a great app and can definitely see some people needing this. And the free price point is a great start to your success...if even only for a few days ;)

I have heard others say the same thing about having to create a playlist. If I gave you two buttons, one for a "playlist" and one for "play song" where you could pick 1 song would this do what you're asking for?

By default, the app ships with "automatic volume control" set to ON and "office mode" set to OFF. I struggled for some time deciding if both of these options should be enabled, both disabled, or some combination. This was based on whether more people would be interested in the "avc" or the "office mode" features and I'm still open suggestions in this area.

sfditty

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I downloaded and played around with it a bit. It's a clever app, but there is one glaring problem- boosting the volume to 90% just because there are cars going by or whatever is very dangerous for the ears. Seriously, have you consulted with a doctor and/or a lawyer about this app? I love the concept, and if I had superman's eardrums, I would love the app, but I'm not ready to take the medical risk involved in using it regularly. Sorry- you seem to have put a lot into it too, and it's nice work, one (non-iphone) developer to another.

bob-a-fett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
I downloaded and played around with it a bit. It's a clever app, but there is one glaring problem- boosting the volume to 90% just because there are cars going by or whatever is very dangerous for the ears. Seriously, have you consulted with a doctor and/or a lawyer about this app? I love the concept, and if I had superman's eardrums, I would love the app, but I'm not ready to take the medical risk involved in using it regularly. Sorry- you seem to have put a lot into it too, and it's nice work, one (non-iphone) developer to another.

thanks for your feedback! In the settings screen, there is a "max volume" setting that you can put to whatever is comfortable. There is also a sensitivity setting that will control how much the volume will vary. Please let me know if this resolves the problem with the app.

Would others agree that a lower default max-volume or sensitivity setting is what you want or are the default settings working for you?

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Bummer. 3.1 only. I'm still not giving up tethering. :D

I still downloaded it, and want to say thanks for giving away an app you obviously worked very hard on. Great concept.

Possible future feature - have it also work in reverse, so it raises the volume depending on how loud your surroundings are.

bob-a-fett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Bummer. 3.1 only. I'm still not giving up tethering. :D

I still downloaded it, and want to say thanks for giving away an app you obviously worked very hard on. Great concept.

Possible future feature - have it also work in reverse, so it raises the volume depending on how loud your surroundings are.

slapguts,
Volumatic does exactly what you're asking! In "Automatic Volume Control" mode, it will raise & lower the volume based on the surroundings. You can set the sensitivity and min/max volume that it will do this. In "Office Mode" is when it will mute the volume if a loud noise occurs.

So when you do upgrade to 3.1 please definitely give it a try and please report back here if you have any comments... I'm always listening to the users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.