New Apple 27 inch Cinema Display with PS3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rubenr7, Nov 1, 2010.

1. rubenr7 macrumors newbie

hey just looking for some help in regards to an upcoming purchase. I plan to buy a 27 inch Apple Cinema Display to connect my 13 inch Macbook White too. I also plan to wall mount it and use it to run my ps3 through. I've looked around on the apple store and found the Belkin AV360 to use. I was just wondering if there are any issues I should be worried about? PS3 on a apple display sounds sooo good :) Also I want to use wireless headphones for sound on the ps3. any suggestions? thanks!

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Should work, but remember that the AV360 will only output 720p to the 27 inch, so as long as you don't care about 1080p it will be fine.

3. rubenr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

do you know anything about sound? some people seem to have issue with the actual game sound going through the headphones.

4. SaiZn macrumors newbie

A wireless solution was recently announced by Astro Gaming.
    http://www.astrogaming.com/blog/129/ASTRO_Launches_New_Wireless_MixAmp_58/
    Here's a review of it.

I have the current wired model and it's great for gaming. I actually do better in FPS due to the fact that it simulates surround sound. It allows me to pinpoint the source of sound effects such as footsteps and gunfire.

It was stated in the Astro Gaming forums that $99.95 is the lowest price it will ever be. You can use any headset/headphones with it, you will just need to purchase the $10 3.5mm to USB cable to use a headset mic on PS3. You can get the MixAmp bundled with one of their headsets if you don't already own any. I have the Astro A30s and they're decent sounding headphones.

5. rubenr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

That does look pretty good. I was thinking of getting Skullcandy GIs just cause they look pretty cool. Apparently they come with a usb output option anyway?

6. rubenr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also does anyone know any good wall mounts? I've never done this before, so I'm not sure how much they cost.

7. SaiZn macrumors newbie

Well if you don't care about sound quality at all, the Skullcandy GIs would be great for you.

You can get cheap mounts at MonoPrice.
    Just get a mount that supports VESA 100x100 and buy the VESA mount adapter kit from Apple.

8. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

I just bought the Belkin AV360 to use with my 360 and 27" ACD and the picture quality is rather mediocre. Gonna return it today.

9. rubenr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ****. thanks for letting me know. reckon the kanex xd will be any better?

10. Troy2000 macrumors regular

Troy2000

It is worth noting that you can in fact output 1080p resolution to the 27" ACD using the converter/scaler from Atlona (upscales 1920x1080 to 2560x1440).

11. whitebook macrumors regular

i take it you have the new whitebook with mini displayport?? just checking thats all....

12. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Doubt it. I'm wondering if the Atlona will be better in that it can upscale the source signal to the 27" ACD's native resolution.

Bah, I just wish the monitor had an HDMI input and internal scaler :mad:

13. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I have the Atlona upscaler in question hooked up to my PS3. The quality of the scaler is pretty decent, but don't expect it to perform miracles in terms of image quality. It's not nearly as good as the kind of software/hardware scaling that a Mac using CoreVideo scaling is capable of for example, but if you sit far enough from the display you won't notice the difference.

The main issue is that there is a tiny amount of aliasing along high contrast edges like on text and such. I don't have one of those Kanex or Belkin to test with so I can't tell you how the quality compares, but it is probably is better than those.

14. rubenr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh no. :O i didn't even think about that. the simplest things sometimes... is there any workaround?

15. rubenr7 thread starter macrumors newbie

i've been reading a lot of stuff and it doesn't look good :'( can anyone help?

16. skorpien macrumors 68020

17. rubenr7 thread starter macrumors newbie