New Apple Ad: "What If"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mortalias, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Amazing! It's really well made. I haven't seen any apple ads on TV in a while, they need to step up their ad game. Even when i do see their ads, they're only for iOS devices, no more mac ads. :mad:

4. Mortalias thread starter macrumors 6502

Mortalias

Thanks! And I absolutely agree... I wish they'd focus more on what the products have done to change our world rather than just flash fancy features. But hey, one can only dream!

5. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Agreed. One thing about Steve was that he hated referencing past devices, so you would have never seen an iMac G3 in an apple ad in his time. Who knows? Maybe we'll see some changes now. I hope apple doesn't forget their roots.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Have you been watching the iPad ads? They're fantastic, and they do a pretty good job of showing how the device changes our world (in small, every day ways).

I love the concept here. I'd love to see Apple make it. The copy is a bit rough, but I can see it being worked into an Apple commercial. Sadly, I don't think it'd be a cool, retrospective black and white ad - the look is very "Think Different", and Apple's moved on from that.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Personally I can see why Jobs didn't want past products in present commercials. Tech companies sell tomorrow, not yesterday. There's also a danger in resting on one's laurels. If advertising becomes too reliant on selling how things used to be, then customers will begin to think that the products used to be better.

I did enjoy this spot. It seems a little too similar to the original Think Different ad with Einstein et al, but it's definitely a great starting point for a new ad campaign, hopefully one that's less pompous and cliche than the iPad ones have been.