Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
What gets me with all this AI talk, is how much of it Apple will lock behind new devices, even though it'll mostly all be software and cloud based.
This is what I came here to say as well. I doubt the current models will get the full array of AI features.

Just look at the marketing of Samsung’s Galaxy S24 lineup. They‘re calling it an AI phone instead of a smartphone.

Maybe the iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max will get close to the same number of AI features as the 16. I’m very curious how Apple plans to stagger the AI features/capabilities across their different devices.

Perhaps only the 8GB RAM models will be fully functional with AI. There could be AI and AI Plus levels. We’ll see.

Reactions: Pezimak

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
Apple will release their AI and the first 6 finger human will be shown across the media and Apple's miserable failure will be shouted from the hilltops.

Meanwhile Dalle et al have been giving out the 6+ fingers for a year now.

Apple won't be treated the same. (But I am willing to be that in time it will better....similar to how many other AR goggles we have seen and Vision pro destroyed them all)

hieranonymous

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2023
I think Apple always had the underlying research and resources to enter this space—they simply weren’t motivated to do so until the recent AI tipping point. Competition is good.

Reactions: G5isAlive

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This is what I came here to say as well. I doubt the current models will get the full array of AI features.

Just look at the marketing of Samsung’s Galaxy S24 lineup. They‘re calling it an AI phone instead of a smartphone.

Maybe the iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max will get close to the same number of AI features as the 16. I’m very curious how Apple plans to stagger the AI features/capabilities across their different devices.

Perhaps only the 8GB RAM models will be fully functional with AI. There could be AI and AI Plus levels. We’ll see.
I think we’ll find anything running an M2 (or the A series it’s based on) will have the same features. Anything with an M1 (and corresponding A series) will either have slower performance or have certain things dropped.

A new floating point unit was introduced after M1 was already in production, so the hardware to accommodate it isn’t in previous generations.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Apple wants to have 100% on-device AI, the model they are developing is definitely innovative because all other models (including Pixel's 8/8 Pro) run at least on a hybrid model.
And Apple model is running nowhere (not for the users). There is no indication that what was demonstrated can run on a phone.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Now there is one more. Download it and compare.

Seems a little bit like using control net in stable diffusion and doing a style change. Now sure if a whole model is needed for this. Also many corporate models (like MS Bing creator/Dallle3) are so “sanitized” that they cannot function normally. I wonder where Apple is going to fall on that spectrum.
There are still certain words that can’t be used when searching for content in images… so I say more towards the latter. :)

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
And yet even then we won’t be able to ask Siri, “Turn on kitchen lights and set to 35% and light blue.”

“Play my subscriptions for YouTube on AppleTV.”

Seriously. When it gets smart enough to play content that I purchased from Apple without acting like it has no idea what I’m talking about, or smart enough to reliably turn my damn lights on, I’ll be interested.

Reactions: ThatGuyInLa

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Any graphics artist who directly deals with clients seriously think AI will be able to "interpret" what a client wants when it comes to art work?🤔

Can people really specify what they want clearly enough that AI can create the image they want? My retired art director brother, who worked for Continential Airlines and before that freelanced, scoffs at the idea.
1666550_orig.jpg

That just means the AI is human like us! :) Most humans can not even draw a round circle! lol

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
This might eventually make it to some version of iOS in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.