Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Firstly let me apologise, I don't follow the software rumours or that. So forgive me if this has already been mentioned. anywho! to the guts of the story.

At college today I was having a little chat with our mac technician guy. He was bazzing around on the colleges new PowerMac G5. He look pleased. He said something about Apple have been in contact with the college (or something, I wasn't paying full attention), saying that they were offered a full upgrade to the pro apps suite for a measly £50. He said that this is a sign that a new suite, or an upgrade or whatever is coming out soon. As this has happened before like.

Just thought you guys might want to know. MacRumors and all. Obviously its nothing set in stone but y'know. I'm just saying what happened today :)

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
We knew that anyway, steve said that all Pro apps were going universal in march and for $49 you could trade in your old powerpc dicks for new universal binary ones.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Alright I read the first message and thought, yea you're probably right... but! we're talking £50, not $50. and its not a universal binary, we're all on PPC macs at our place. Thing is we were offered apps we didn't have before. We only have Final Cut Pro, we were offered Logic Pro and some other nifty little things.
I'm pretty sure the universal binaries are a lot cheaper. Apparently thats a whole different kettle of fish according to our technician. They were offered those way before this new deal.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
They might be talking about the upgrade from stand alone applications to Final Cut Studio here. (Second item on the blue sidebar)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
raggedjimmi said:
Alright I read the first message and thought, yea you're probably right... but! we're talking £50, not $50. and its not a universal binary, we're all on PPC macs at our place. Thing is we were offered apps we didn't have before. We only have Final Cut Pro, we were offered Logic Pro and some other nifty little things.
I'm pretty sure the universal binaries are a lot cheaper. Apparently thats a whole different kettle of fish according to our technician. They were offered those way before this new deal.

The price in the states for the Universal Binary Crossgrade is $49. The price here is £49. it's the way a lot of companies work it out. yeah it's crap but what can you do.

the Universal Binary means it will work natively on both machines, intel and powerpc. We've been offered this thing in our University - and it is the crossgrade to Final Cut Studio, it's just an academic allowance to upgrade to FCS from FCP or one of the standalone apps. one of my best mates is friends with the head of apple education europe (hehe i have their mobile number on my phone :)), and they confirm this.

the logic pro thing is hard to believe. logic pro is a different kettle of fish. they don't strike bundle deals with this. logic express, yes, but not pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.