New apple batteries only at 74% when fully charged?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbg232, Oct 4, 2010.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I picked up a pair of the apple batteries/charger for use with my magic mouse and wireless keyboard. I still had some juice in my current batteries so charged each set of two batteries for 24 hours and then put them in a drawer. Fast forward two weeks and my magic mouse has reliably run out of juice and when I put in two of the batteries, my mac states the charge at 74%. I've read in some of the other posts that because of the way NiMH and alkaline batteries differ, it is normal to have slightly lower ratings, but 74%?????

Most people reporting stated they got 85%, has anyone else gotten 74% on first run?

Are these batteries defective or is there something about my charging routine that caused them to be so much lower?

Please advise.

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

That’s normal for the first couple of charges on brand new batteries, it can take a couple of charges to “calibrate” itself to the full capacity ( ~95% at most). Also those type of batteries do discharge over time, you stated you didn’t use it for two weeks. They do not stay 100% all year long, they “keep” the ability to charge to 100% capacity. I know the marketing says they stay that long but marketing is never the truth.