New Apple Cinema Displays Soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by petersays, Dec 12, 2007.

1. petersays macrumors member

Any rumours on new Cinema Displays at MacWorld?

The current ones are _hardly_ worth the price atm,.

I want a 23" but they'll have to drop the prize ALOT for that to be an affordable option.

Any recommendation on other displays otherwise?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

ill agree they could use a upgrade and a price drop, but they are beautiful displays as they are. most people want hdmi and cheaper prices. just keep your fingers cross

3. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

If I were a betting man, I would put money on the ACD getting a redesign at Macworld in January. Here's what I expect:

1. A price drop.
    2. New enclosures to match the new Mac Pro redesigns.
    3. Built in iSights.
    4. 20", 24", 30" models.
    5. Portrait mode feature.

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I Think everything but 2 and 5 on your list.

To the OP: i agree with you and i'm in the exact same position as you i want one but due to finances don't think it's worth the price.

5. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

Okay number 5 is stretching it a bit, but Dell has offered this feature for a while it was was quite popular in the office where I worked. But with regards to number 2, I think a redesign is in order.

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

NO built in iSights, what a freaking waste that would be for Pro users needing two ACDs, then they'll pay for TWO webcams they'll never use... All Macs aside from Mac Pro and Mac Mini have iSights built in anyway. Annnnd how many people have Minis hooked up to ACDs?

Cinema Displays are definitely due though. Wouldn't mind a 27" to give Dell a run for its money.
    Hopefully they'll get Component and HDMI inputs, so ACDs can run :apple:tv (more importantly, PS3 and Wii!)

7. volvoben macrumors 6502

I personally doubt all but 2 and 4. A slight redesign isn't unlikely, however i seriously doubt they will redesign the mac pro, so changing the acd so it doesn't match its 'natural mate' is unlikely. i love both the mac pro and acd designs currently, but i have few doubts that apple would replace them with anything less visually appealing.

price drop? only if they aren't redesigned.
    portrait? nope.
    isight? likely a waste for their target market (i'd much prefer no such thing), but if they only add a few $ to production and the end user, fine.
    23" panels have been phased out (rather unfortunate really since 23" @ 1920x1200 more closely matches the pixel pitch of the 20" and 30"), so a 24" is a likely replacement.

In my perfect world we'd see updated enclosures to match the tweaked mac pro cases (black anodized or same case/new grill with different grate pattern in black/glass? unlikely, but as long as the acds aren't glossy like a chinless imac i'll be ok with it), and price drops so a 24" would cost me ~650-700 without any discounts.

8. appie57 macrumors 6502

appie57

The money for an ACD is burning a hole in my pocket. But to buy now would be foolish. There must be some sort of an upgrade/price drop coming, one would think or not?:(

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Hoping so. Keeping an eye on CES too, should Apple "disappoint" I might go for a Dell :eek:

10. volvoben macrumors 6502

mainly i'm complaining out of jealousy, but looking for a used acd doesn't seem like a bad idea at this point. The new ones are indeed a bit expensive for what you get, so a used model for a 25%+ discount doesn't seem so bad.

here's the complaining part: my coworker bought a 30" acd on craigslist last week for $800, it's almost 2 years old but in perfect shape, no dead pixels, no shipping, plus it came with an isight which he will likely sell on ebay for whatever ridiculous price they're currently going for.

anyway, the point is that deals exist if you're not willing to pay for new knowing they're a bit out of date.

11. jatkins123 macrumors newbie

just looking for identifying factors about an imminent update but i read somewhere that ACD's had been taken off the front page of apple.com but im not too sure how long that's been the case...i also noticed how cheap the refurb displays were and i was wondering if they've been that cheap for a while or maybe a quick clearance?

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You can do far worse than buy a Dell display… sure, not as stylish perhaps, but great screens.
    NOT to be confused with their computers. ;)

13. je1ani macrumors 6502

Why do people always make such a statement? give me Dell hardware and OS X and i'm a happy camper

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:confused: Yes, and I said they make great screens… in fact I am using one right now…

As far as I know Dell computers do not run OS X. So… I fail to see your point. :rolleyes:

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Yeah, Dell are really delivering with their screens. The 3008's fantastic! I love :apple: design though, so I hope they sort it out and offer some more inputs.

16. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think that if they do end up putting iSights in the ACDs, they will have the option of getting one without it. I would actually prefer the ACDs to have built-in iSight, but I can see the reason that people might not like it such as businesses, security, etc.