New Apple Color?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by loungecorps, Jun 30, 2011.

1. loungecorps macrumors member

at this point it is doubtful but I really hope apple releases a new version of Color. I always felt that was the program that set them apart from the adobe package.

It will be a damn shame if it is truly dead

their is always Davinci Resolve for $1,000. But you also have to upgrade gpu's, Video i/o hardware etc.

2. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

From what I read color grading is integrated into FCP X, but it's nowhere near what Color can do for now.

3. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There were some things which Color did not do well, like tracking. I really love Color but I think Apple would rather work on the "basic" color correction in FCP X and leave the premium color grading solution to Resolve, and I'm cool with that. What is already in FCP X is miles ahead of what FCP 7 can do.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Not in my opinion.

The "color board" in FCP X is an unnecessary move away from the standard color wheel.

Color adjustments in FCP X are spread out over three tabs where as in FCP 7 they were in a single window.

The "color mask" in FCP X (aka "limit effect" in the 3-way Color Corrector) is very limited compared to the old 3-way CC. In FCP X you can select a color but then only have a single "less/more effect" slider for adjustments. In the 3-way CC you can select a color then adjust the hue, saturation, luma, edge enhancement and softness to really dial in exactly what you wanted.

The 3-way CC let you use an eyedropper to set your black level and your white level. And when you used them the settings in the 3-way CC actually changed so you could see what the filter was doing.

The auto correct and color match in FCP X are okay if the footage is already in good shape but they are all or nothing filters. Their changes don't show up in the CC filter so there is no way to tweak the results other than adding another CC filter and making changes by hand. But if you knew how to fix it by hand you probably wouldn't have had FCP X auto-fix it to begin with.

The CC filters in FCP X can't be reordered like they can in FCP 7.

The speed in FCP X is much better and being able to apply the shape mask is very handy. I wish you could tell it if you wanted to work inside the mask or outside the mask though.

While they are certainly improvements in the CC filter in FCP X I think it's a net loss compared to the 3-way CC filter in FCP 7, IMO.

Lethal

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Then why not fix the kinks with a new version instead of severely castrating or even killing off the old one?

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I find it highly doubtful that Apple will even consider developing a new version of Color as a standalone app.

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

8. loungecorps thread starter macrumors member

and what is in FCP7 & FCP x is still miles behind what Color could do

well the free version of Davinci Resolve will be out sometime this month. I guess I'll just have to see how well it runs on my system. If it does well I think I may just pull the trigger