New Apple Computers, will they use Tiger instead of Panther?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I'm not sure how well this goes, but will Apple upgrade the machines that they have in stock to Tiger or will they stay with Panther and let you do the upgrade?

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I think that all computers purchased now include a Tiger rebate form for like $10 they can upgrade...

If the computer comes when Tiger is released, but was ordered before, it will include a full Tiger install

After a while, or all machines made on or after the 29th will have Tiger and OS9 I think

Comment

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
dotdotdot said:
I think that all computers purchased now include a Tiger rebate form for like $10 they can upgrade...

If the computer comes when Tiger is released, but was ordered before, it will include a full Tiger install

After a while, or all machines made on or after the 29th will have Tiger and OS9 I think
What do you mean OS 9 - classic?

Comment

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
auxplage said:
What do you mean OS 9 - classic?
Yeah, classic.

Just an update before: by full, I mean its like a Single User lisence - not only for that model of machine like other versions... but it is Single user...

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If it's already boxed, it'll have Panther.

If you BTO a machine, they transition to Tiger rather quick -- most likely as soon as they get the DVDs, which is what you can say about all the other machines being built.

Comment

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Comment

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
In case anyone was wondering, Apple has stopped putting Classic on all machines. It is now on a CD and can be installed by choice. A smart move if you ask me, less confusing for new users. As for current Classic support in Tiger, I have no idea. Someone with a beta might want to confirm, they System Pref icon may not appear anymore without a classic system installed

jon

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.