Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NH
The New York Times had a lengthy write-up on Apple on 4/25. The NYT internet site requires a subscription (which I have) and therefore I am able to provide the following bit; the article speculates Apple may move into the Voice over Internet Protocol market...

"Last year, the company quietly added two new wireless standards, known as 3GPP and 3GPP2, to its QuickTime software for sending and receiving multimedia over digital cellular networks. Because Apple was an early leader in the Wi-Fi market with its airport wireless networking base station, the reasoning goes, the company may be hard at work on a line of digital mobile phones that would take the company into the fast-growing voice-over-Internet-protocol, or VoIP market."

Thoughts?

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
keysersoze said:
Because Apple was an early leader in the Wi-Fi market with its airport wireless networking base station

apple had wifi out before it was wifi. in the mid 90's apple had built in wireless networking on many performa models. back then they used 802.11b and now they use 802.11g.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
blue&whiteman said:
apple had wifi out before it was wifi. in the mid 90's apple had built in wireless networking on many performa models. back then they used 802.11b and now they use 802.11g.

I am pretty sure 802.11b was not available with the Performas. Yes, they had WiFi very early on, but it was in year 2000 with G4 and iMac machines.

That said, some other wireless tech may have been available to pro machines back then, as a long time Apple owner I am sure it was not mainstream or I would have purchased it.

If you have specific info on wireless performas (not just IR) please post details, for general history purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.