New Apple displays end of august?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by moworks2, Jul 31, 2008.

1. moworks2 macrumors member

Has anyone heard anything like this?...is this old news?...

I walked into a local apple dealer today to ask about a 23" monitor...I began to explain why I had reservations about buying such an old monitor, and my concern about quality for photo work and graphic design...he told me to wait, new ACD's will come out at the end of august that'll be better quality for what I need...

so,...I'm sittin' tight till the end of august...he also had a Lacie display in the store...a 324 24" model...he had it hooked up to a big iMac as a second display so I could see the difference in how it rendered color and whites, blacks...the lacie showed much more detail...

M

2. HooHar macrumors member

I don't think an Apple dealer is going to know now that displays are coming at the end of August. Apple always keep very quiet about such things and only a handful of folks would be aware of something this big.

Having said that - however unlikely this may be - I'd love a big new 42" Cinema Display with an iSight.

;)

3. moworks2 thread starter macrumors member

you know I feel you're probably right, but I'm also hoping this guy is right, I mean he's the owner of the store...he could've made a 900 euro sale today and chose not to...that's pretty odd...and damn, my monitor is just toast, i need a new one...

he even complained to me about how old the 23" monitor is and how it needs replacing, how it's old tech...he even complained to me about the glossy monitors on imacs for photo work...i mean he's a nice guy, just very honest i think...

i don't have room for something as big as 42" but I could use 24-26"...whatever...i'll stick it out with my old monitor for four weeks crossing my fingers that this guy was right...

M

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He knows nothing. Apple doesn't really care about their displays, anyway.

5. moworks2 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure what he knows or not but it does seem like apple doesn't care much about the display side of the business...maybe they're selling enough of them without any updates?...if they really didn't care wouldn't they just stop producing them?...there must be an audience...maybe it's small but an audience nonetheless...

and it does seem like ipods and iphones and then 'puters are the focus these days...i wonder how much money they make on selling screens...maybe it's tiny profits compared to the rest?...

whatever...if nothing surfaces by the end of august i'll probably get a NEC 2190UXi or something like that and be done with it...I need a monitor is all i know...

M

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

I wouldn't think so.
    No "leaks" have surfaced that I've seen. ;)

7. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

New Displays?

So has anyone heard anything about new displays lately? I am getting ready to buy the 30" Cinema but man its been out for a while. Would love to get one with an isight built in or something.

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There is no way that an Apple dealer would know about a unannounced release, even an Apple Store wouldn't know about it, Apple is very secretive about their releases so much that the store managers find out about it only right before the consumer does. Maybe he meant that he will be receiving a shipment of more ACDs at the end of August, but he would have no idea as to if they are new ACDs.

9. NSNick macrumors regular

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think its going to be a longer while before the ACD's gets updated maybe 2 years.

Because if they want to go all led and especially the 30", the samsung xl30 right now could be had for $4499. I say give it at least a year more.

11. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

I've been waiting for new ACD for over a year now. And I will keep waiting until this happens.

12. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Well in that case I just bought the Dell 30" for $1049. Not a bad deal on a 30 incher. Not as bright as the Apple but $700 cheaper makes up for it. We'll see how it looks when it arrives.

13. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Wouldn't we all....

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Your dealer is just trying trying to get you to think he's nice, so he can push you to buy more stuff next time!

15. Digital Fury macrumors member

Digital Fury

It's taking a long time, because Apple is trying to figure out how to fit adjustable stands to its screens, as they have recently discovered that not all humans are of the same built and have access to height-adjustable tables/desks.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Would you mind giving some proof to this, because it sounds like you just made that whole thing up, and plus the screens pivot to face the user's height already, so that is not a big deal. My guess is that the new displays will probably have a built in iSight.

17. remmy macrumors 6502a

Then again there are few places that I was hoping to buy a display from that have been sold out for a while now...

18. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I've been waiting for new ACD displays to be announced for so long, I finally gave up and bought a new one 28" from View Sonic. No, it's not an Apple, but it was 1/3 of the price of an ACD, I got a great deal at Costco and it's easily returnable if I have any problems with it. So far, so good. :)

19. HooHar macrumors member

Actually - come to think of it - you might have to be quite tall to get your face into the picture - a 42" screen iSight would be quite high up !
    :)

20. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I got mine in September 2006 - and at the time I thought, gee I bet this will soon get an update, and I'll be quite the fool for getting this.

Little did I know. I'll guess they will do a full pro refresh when then put the new CPUs from Intel in their MP's in a few months.

21. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I don't know what to expect, especially with MWSF this year, or the ACDs, there were a few light rumors that they would be updated for MWSF '08, but that didn't happen. I think that we can probably expect it to happen at this year's though, just to keep up with that promise that Job's made. Hopefully they add an iSight to the ACDs, or at least offer a new external iSight figuring the store has been absent of one for a while now.

22. HooHar macrumors member

Yes - iSight would be a great inclusion but I fear it might not happen due to corporate concerns about prying eyes seeing into their offices. So I think a separate but bespoke camera will be the likely result. Can't wait !
    :)

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I doubt that is much of a concern to them, figuring most Apple computers already have iSights in them. And plus, how many companies are going to be paying the big bucks for a monitor of this level for company use? There are many other monitors that are a much better price that a company would purchase. And Apple could at least make the iSight an option on them, it doesn't have to be all models.

24. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, this site just surfaced with new ACD's for MWSF 09. but LED backlit is EXTREMELY expensive. samsung isnt a top name brand, but their 30" led backlit is about $5000. thats mighty expensive for a display, id rather buy a 50" sony bravia lcd tv (1080p) which is about $3500. but thats just my 2 cents. Apple should release them soon (next half year or MWSF).