New Apple external Superdive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tech198, May 8, 2015.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Hi all..

Having issues with Verbatim and a newly pushed superdrive for my new Macbook Pro.

Gone though about 6-10 blank cd's trying to burn.... and all gave up... with "medium error" around the end of the burn process.

This happens even at 1x... Tried Toast,, and also in iTunes 12.1 in Yosemite, and same result.

I was thinking of brand of media may be the issue, but i always have good burns with previous external superdrive and my older Mac.

Maybe a Yosemite problem ? As this is my first burn in 10.10.x Before i was using Mavericks and no problem.

Has anyone has success with Yosemite and burning cd's ? Apple can't even suggest a brand, as the default from Apple is "If it writes, then any brand would be ok."

Its a shame that it always fails at the end of the process... around 96% or 80%-ish

the strange thing is when it fails with iTunes, the "estimated time" goes up, and u don't get any error on-screen...

In any case, any good brands..... ? Unless Apple updated the firmware on the drive to make it incompatible with Verbatim.. *shrugs*

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I use the superdrive that used to be in my MBP in a USB enclore, works fine as far as I can tell, but I haven't burned much with it.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

IMHO the problem with newer CD blanks is, that they do not write properly on those low speeds. Try to use higher speeds. Also, AFAIK, Toast will highlight the write speeds supported by media in bold.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

in my opinion higher speed burn could corrupt CD so far I use lower speed for better burning and got a good result with it. I never trust burn CD with higher speed. :apple:

5. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I was burning with memorex cd-r's and had one fail at the highest speed and dropped it down with success. Just the randomness of optical media.

As far as I'm concerned it's disposable media.

6. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

There's always a chance of corruption, the burning speed won't significantly affect that chance one way or the other.

7. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

You could be right. At the very last blank cd, i used iTunes and now it just worked, where as before it failed...

This would point to bad media yes ?

Alas, I am also using Toast 11. so, probably also incompatible app too with 10.10.3

In addition, when i was using Toast, on some blanks i never got media write errors with toast.. Just the "The disc failed to burn", and ejected.... So, this also points to bad media i guess, otherwise there would be medium error..

In any case, it worked with itunes, and on my way to getting different media.