Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
My MBP's going to my mom who will be setting it up with a new Apple ID (she may have an old one but it was only associated with iTunes and made a few purchases).

Would she need to purchase the iWork/iLife apps or are they available for free? I know they come free with new Macs. And I think a few years back if you had it installed on your Mac you could "convert" them to App Store versions.

I'm just want to see what we're getting in to when I help her get it all set up this weekend.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
She will need to purchase them under her AppleID. That free version you get with a new Mac is linked to the AppleID that was used to "claim" the apps at setup.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Oh, I have the family packs of those. If I install them on her Mac will that switch her to the App Store version?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Just wanted to update this for anyone searching in the future. She signed into Mac using her Apple ID. I set her up with Family Sharing and this allowed her to download those apps, I'm assuming from my account.

I guess this will work, until I get a family and have to kick her off. I have a feeling this will be at least 10 years from now.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Just wanted to update this for anyone searching in the future. She signed into Mac using her Apple ID. I set her up with Family Sharing and this allowed her to download those apps, I'm assuming from my account.

I guess this will work, until I get a family and have to kick her off. I have a feeling this will be at least 10 years from now.

Bit late I know, but I'm sure when I upgraded to Mavericks all apps on the mac prior to upgrade were then legitimised in the App store, i.e. doesn't matter where you got the Apple apps from (trial versions etc) so long as they were on the mac before upgrade, they then became free under the Apple ID which was signed in post update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.