New Apple ID for Family Computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by larsolson, Jun 11, 2017.

1. larsolson macrumors newbie

Looking for advice...

We are looking at getting an iMac as our family computer. This will be used mostly as our photo editing and organizing machine.

We currently have somewhat of a mess of apple IDs. We have one that is used for purchases (a gmail account), and then my wife and I both have our own iCloud IDs that are used for our MacBooks and iPhones. We have not set up any family sharing.

Should we create a new apple ID for the family iMac? If so, can that be used to link up all of the current accounts (gmail ID used for app purchases and the two iCloud accounts)?

Will the photos on the iMac be able to be shared across all of the devices?

TIA.

2. FreemanW macrumors 6502

There really is not a correct or incorrect answer here. I personally roll my eyes when people begin contemplating or have already created multiple Apple ID accounts.

I have an Apple ID. My wife has her own Apple ID. Each Ident covers devices, Apps, iTunes, iCloud, iEverything.

I have a client that is horrid at passwords, he would forget, create a new Apple ID, and move on. Eventually, it bit him rather hard and substantially on the backside.

He and his wife wished to pass her retiring iPhone on to their son. Couldn't wipe it, couldn't reset it, couldn't do a thing with it, because, the Apple ID it was tied to was a distant and forgotten memory.

Ultimately, that along with several other Apple ID's cost him well over five hours on the telephone with Apple Support (no way did that support person get paid enough for that call) to get everything sorted.

Sharing is trivial; especially when compared to some of the clusters people are capable of creating, simplicity to chaos in three easy steps.