new Apple in-ear headphones: work as earplugs on flights?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rikers_mailbox, Dec 15, 2008.

1. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Looking for advise and/or experience regarding the new in-ear headphones ...

I really don't like using my earbuds on flights because they need to be turned up WAY too loud to be heard. There is a lot of ambient noise to overcome and it gives me a headache after an hour or so (not to mention it contributes to hearing loss). I typically wear ear plugs on long flights and it makes a world of a difference. Plus I like to block out all the background chatter of those sitting around me. People are annoying. :)

Anyways, my question is simply: Do the new in-ear headphones act like earplugs in addition to being headphones? Will they block out the drone of the aircraft while letting me enjoy my tunes?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

They are not sound isolating headphones, so no.

However just the fact that they actually go into your ear, helps a bit, but for it to drown out any sound you would need to be playing music, otherwise it doesn't work so well.

3. romanaz macrumors regular

romanaz

According to apple.com/iPod/inearheaphones they drastically reduce outside noise. I just picked up a pair at my local apple store and in the big loud food court I was able to use them as earplugs. Not nearly as good as say Bose noise cancelling but good for earbuds. Well worth the money imo.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Hmm, guess I was wrong, my bad. They are actual sound isolating headphones, so there you go. :D